Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Speaking in context

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Speaking in context

Postby Mr.Darcy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:21 pm

kaylayuh wrote:
patdbunny wrote:The breeder greys play Marco Polo with us. We use Marco/Polo to locate each other in the house. Sometimes they answer "Polo". Sometimes they say "Marco" and we'll respond to them w/ "Polo".

LOL! That's cute! It also reminds me of a news story here a few days ago. The police had to raid a house in the next city over. One of the officers called his partner, named Marco, because he thought the house was empty. Turns out it wasn't, because the person called back "Polo". I wish I could find the story, it was hilarious. The guy was suspected of running some kind of drug ring.

Thats funny. I am a police officer and I went to a house to deal with a teenager I know and I knocked, someone opened the door, as I walked in I heard her say Hello, I answered back, and then realized it was their pet amazon Fred who mimicks her voice exactly!! ha ha
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:42 pm

How about the story about the couple that came home from work and their parrot was yelling help. It did not stop. Then it said "I can't get up". They ran next door to their elderly neighbor and found her on the floor. She had become too weak to call out so the parrot took over.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby nagelsan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:47 am

That's really a great story.
In the netherlands they have found back a parrot because of his talking behaviour.
He used to say a few 'bad' words in a certain context, so if you would say one thing, he would call back another.
That's how they found him back after he was stolen.

Great how vocabulaires of birds can help some times.
I used to have a blue and gold macaw.
He wasn't very friendly, but later we found out he was abused and didn't want any people around.
He is now staying at a friend, who is trying to find him a mate and he is completely happy.
But when i got him, i used to take him with me to my dochters school.
The first time, a boy came up and started asking my macaw frequently to say: hi.
My macaw could say that, but usily when someone enthers the room and not at command.
The kid was really anoying, so my macaw tunrned his back at him.
He asked about twenty times in only two minutes and finally got a bit angry my macaw wasn't responding and took off.
As soon as he reached the door, my macaw turned around and screamed very loud: HI!
hahahaha.
He was making a point, he would talk when he wanted to and not when you said he had to.
He could really say a lot of things, but always in a context, never when you asked him to say anything.
When he wanted attention he said: keekaboo (in dutch: Kiekkiek)
Once, when we decided that he could not stay with us (he was sooooo unhappy) i cried while he was sitting on my lap.
He just looked at me and said: kiekkiek kiekkiek kiekkiek kiekkiek, like twenty times ore more.
He knew something was wrong.
He wanted to cheer me up, because i always laughed when he said that.
Bye the way, he's got a really good life now, but sometimes it still hurts.
nagelsan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey, Senegal Parrot, White cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby nagelsan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 am

Hi everyone,

It's been a while, because i just moved to another place and didn't had internet for a while.
But I'm back.

I've got an african grey, who speaks in context sometimes.
Yesterday i wanted to bring my cockatoo upstairs, because he'd like to go to sleep early.
Mostly, my other two parrots stay downstairs for half an hour longer.
I picked up the cockatoo (it was beginning to get dark) and my grey said: 'So, are you going to get some sleep?'
We were stunned.

I also had an conversation with him (the grey), while clipping his wings, something he hates (touch his wings).
He: 'what are you doing?'
I: 'clipping you wings'
He: 'Damned.'
When i finished his first one...
He: ' Kiss.'
I gave him a kiss en took his other wing.
He: ' Stop that.'
I: 'No, I have to.' and i let go of his wing because it was done.
He: ' Sooooo!. done"

A friend of mine, has a amazone (two)
She takes care of problembirds, and this one is blind at one eye.
He had a tough life, so he's a bit loud and very busy and present.
When she goes to put him in the shower, he says: 'Nice, shower, shower, shower, shower (30 times)'
Than he says: 'wing done' when he is ready and wants his other wing done.
If you don't react, he says: 'Hey, I said wing done, damned.'
Then he says: 'watch out not my ears.'
and if he gets a drop on his ears, he screams: 'said not my ears, listen hey.'

He is really a strange bird, but knows exactly what to say and when.
nagelsan
Lovebird

Postby purplepit » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:24 am

Taco :gray: has told me to "shut up stop screaming" if he doesn't like what I am singing. If I sneeze he makes the sound of me blowing my nose. He also will answer my questions in my ex husbands voice "hey James"-me "what"-Taco "can you go get some milk?"-me "Sure"-Taco "Wait, is this you or the bird?"-me "Taco's a bad bird hahaha"-Taco
purplepit
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Timneh grey, Parakeet

Postby Naurthon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:12 pm

My Nikko always says "good morning" when I first come into the bird room in the morning, and that's the only time he says it. Dante always says "nite nite" when I close the curtains in their room for the night. When my partner and I are having a meal, Dante will often call out "mmm mmm mmm looks good!" even though he's at the other end of the house. The other day, when my partner told me breakfast was ready, Dante replied "okey dokey" before I could respond.

Often, when the boys are being louder than they need to be, I'll ask them "what's with all the noisey?" A couple of weeks ago, alone in the house, I started singing to myself and Dante turned the tables asking me, "what's with all the noisey?" LOL Pretty bad when your parrot tells you you're being too loud!
Nikko, Black Capped Conure :gcc: (hatched April 2008)
Maxwell, Senegal Parrot :senegal: (hatched 2004?)
Dante, Congo African Grey :gray: (hatched Nov 28, 2009)
Naurthon
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Black capped conure, Senegal parrot, Congo African grey

Postby lwis » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:07 pm

The other day, I took Reno :macaw: into the room where there are several small birds (love birds, cockaties, canaries) being boarded and she began to talk to them in a soft, higher pitched voice, like a voice a person would use when talking to a baby or something small and cute. It was the weirdest thing! She said "hi", "hello", and "what's that" in this little baby voice that I have never heard before.

I also found out recently that she shakes her head when she doesn't like something (she is nearly 20 so she has learned a lot over the years). She had been out for almost two hours on my arm and shoulder and I think she was getting bored, because she was beginning to nip at me. Anyway, I was trying to pet her and her body language told me that she wasn't into it so a backed off, but then she would dramatically shake her head back and forth. It happened a few times before I made the connection that she might be shaking her head because she actually doesn't like something, not just for the fun of it.
I find it so fascinating, what these birds can learn and apply in appropriate situations!
lwis
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby liz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Mine amaze me everyday.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby nagelsan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:03 am

My grey often talks in a higher softer voice, when he really wants my attention.
He is raised by a male and often has a male voice, but sometimes he switches to my voice hahahaha.
Right now his newest thing is the telephone.
He lets it ring, says hello, jeah, okay, uhum, okay, and then byebye.
Sometimes he even says (instead of hello) hello a very goodmorning.
When my senegal is teasing him, he says: come on, watch it! and sometimes: don't do that.
When i spray him (because of his neck fethers) he is like: what are you doing? and when i tell him he says: damned. (freely translated from dutch)
nagelsan
Lovebird

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:11 pm

my first bird a bluefront only said no but he would always say no to my son whenever he would ask for anything then he would laugh at my son's reaction.my second bird a rainbow lorikeet named lori used to annoy the macaw in her first home so he would tell her don't do it lori, so whenever she was about to do somthing she knew was bad she would say don't do it lori.my greencheek says my mommy when he doesn't want to share me,and my cocatoo says blah blah blah when people talk to eachother in front of her instead of paying attention to her
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

PreviousNext

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations