Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help! Bird stopped learning new words....

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Help! Bird stopped learning new words....

Postby Ollie1013 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Hello! My 3 year old Moustache Parrot stopped learning new words/phrases around age 2. He says about 10 different things that he learned in his first 2 years of life but now.. Nothing new! Just the same stuff over and over.
Is this normal? Will he ever learn new words again? :irn:
Ollie1013
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Moustache parrot
Flight: No

Re: Help! Bird stopped learning new words....

Postby CrazzMc » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Think of a bird as a child you learn the most when young. Babies evolve and learn so much its absolutely ridiculous. Apparently from Psych Statistics when a child is about the age of 5 he/she can learn up to 10,000 words a day. But think of your bird as a teenager now. It doesn't want to learn, its sick of learning. It may be possible to teach it if it has motivation. I know African Greys start loosing their motivation to learn (if properly trained/tame/healthy) when about 10 years old. You could definitely get a few more words/phrases in. I don't think its impossible at all. Everyone learns at all ages its the motivation for learning which isn't always easy to get.
CrazzMc
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigar, Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations