Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Shy talkers...

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Shy talkers...

Postby kittyhazelton » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:46 am

So, my macaw knows "Hello" and "What" (as far as I know) only issue, is she only seems to say these words when she's by herself in the evening. If I approach her when she does this she just stops talking and reverts back to her little "cluck/rahrp" noise that she makes.
Been trying to encourage her to speak on command, but so far she just refuses to do so... funnier yet, when she's by herself saying hello to herself she's also practicing her little foot wave that she does when people say hello to her.
When she does this, if I'm in the room within sight I'll say hello back to her, tell her good girl and give her praise. I don't know about giving her treats because whenever I go up to her while she's doing this she stops talking and I feel that would enforce her to NOT talk.
Any suggestions on how I can encourage her to say hello back at us when we're interacting with her?
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves
Flight: Yes

Re: Shy talkers...

Postby liz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 am

She is practicing her new language. They all do it while alone and quiet.

I heard Rambo talking quietly. When I went to check on him he was looking out the window. I laughed and scared him. He turned and yelled at me: "DON'T YOU EVER EVER EVER". He ment don't sneak up and scare him.

She will start using words as soon as she is confident. You will hear more than you taught her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby kittyhazelton » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:43 pm

That's the thing, I didn't teach her those words, she came to me knowing them already. This is a 15yr old bird, so I'm sure there's more to her vocabulary than what I've heard so far. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what else she knows... and hope she doesn't pick up any of my boyfriends own "naghty lanquage"
kittyhazelton
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck parrot, Blue and gold macaw, white doves

Postby liz » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:52 pm

kittyhazelton wrote:That's the thing, I didn't teach her those words, she came to me knowing them already. This is a 15yr old bird, so I'm sure there's more to her vocabulary than what I've heard so far. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what else she knows... and hope she doesn't pick up any of my boyfriends own "naghty lanquage"

Naugty language is fun to say. She will pick it up fast. I had a couple of "potty mouth" words that I had to correct.

Rambo came to me with a very good vocabulary and has increased it since he has been with me. I did not really teach him. He learned "help" by me asking him if he needed help. Myrtle told me she needed help when she dropped a toy.

They learn like children. They hear words and repeat them until they understand how to use them when they want to.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby dorp » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 am

liz wrote:They learn like children. They hear words and repeat them until they understand how to use them when they want to.

Yea, I wouldn't be so sure about that liz
dorp
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:09 am

Dorp, you have not lived with parrots or worked with them to even be remotely qualified to have an opinion. And still, some opinions matter more than others.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby liz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 pm

If we ignore him he might go away.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Or if Michael just blocked his IP address.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby FutureDVM » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Don't feed the troll...
FutureDVM
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Bellied Conure

Postby ljeanne » Fri May 18, 2012 8:52 pm

when i got Gabby (my 1st quaker) for my husband i was told he was mean and mumbled alot . i get him home and sat next to him asking if he was a good bird, stuff like that , and he starts saying ok, ok, i was thrilled so i'm talking more and suddenly he starts singing old mc donald.! now when i go to another cage he starts saying" step up, step up!" she will surprise you one day. you'll see :thumbsup:
ljeanne
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: timneh grey, senegal parrot, and budgies
congo grey and blue front amazon, ducorps cockatoo, and princess of whales parakeet

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations