Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

screaming senegal parrot

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

screaming senegal parrot

Postby moaely » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:36 am

Hello I have a one year old senegal parrot (male). The bird has been a joy to have and play with. It is very friendly, intelligent and basicly awesome.

But in recent month he has started screaming out of control. I belive that he is trying to get my attention. He recives plenty of attention, about 2h per day on average, besides that he has his wings clipt (vet did it) so his cage is open the whole day while i am at home. He has lots of toys which i change when he gets bored with them. He has toys in the cage and out of it.

But as I said he is screaming and not just morning and evening vocalization but all the time some isn't one on one with him. We tried everithing.

He is clicker trained, so we tried rewarding him when he is not screeming, we tried covering him and rewarding him when he stops, we ignore when he is screaming, we even ( and i am not proud of that ) tried for a week to sprinkle him with water but nothing.

He also becomes quaite aggresive when screaming, raming his beak in the cage or in his toys, when he starts it is like he just lost in!

Recently he also screames when he is playing so i really don't know what to do anymore. We tried everything and nothing is working. We gave him more one on one time, tried more training, we take him outside with us, tried covering the cage, remove the food when covering the cage, give him more toys. But it seems he loses interest in 10 min and just starts screaming again.

We hope it is just a phase other wise he will recive a serious case of broken neck (*don't take me serious just joking, freaking love the bird :)*)

but seriously need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
moaely
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sengal parrot
Flight: No

Re: screaming senegal parrot

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:40 am

You need to just completely ignore the screaming until he's very quiet, then reward him for good behaviour. If he's trying to get your attention and you give it him him even once out of a hundred times, he just learned that all he needs to do is scream a hundred times to get your attention.
Completely ignore all behaviour and reward for good behaviour.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby moaely » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:44 am

We did try that for a month but didn't work.

I mean compleatly ignoring (wearing earplugs even) for a month! but no didn't work

next suggestion?
moaely
Parrotlet

Postby Polarn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:30 am

The way i see it there is only three ways to handle a screaming parrot;
either you trin it not to scream by ignoring and rewarding for cute sounds.
or, you occupy the parrot enough to keep it busy/entertained to not have time to scream.
or, you learn to live with it.

1st option is probably the most durable option, even if it takes time for it to stop.
2nd option is really only doable by devoting alot of time directly towards the bird or new toys etc to keep it busy
3rd option... well a life with earplugs and complaining neighbours is probably nobodys ideal of living.

There might be some other way to train the screaming to get less than the one already suggested, but if there is I havn't heard about it.
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby moaely » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 am

the best reaction so far was for rewarding cute counts and completly ignoring screaming.

Plus if it get really bad we give him a one hour time out in another room.
moaely
Parrotlet

Postby pennyandrocky » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:00 pm

only 2hrs of your attention everyday did i read that right? is that all a sengal needs? i'm curious i don't know about them i just can't imagine either one of mine being o.k. with that.
Last edited by pennyandrocky on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby moaely » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:08 pm

Yes all the toys in the cage. But he usually sojcreames for 5 more min and than stops.
moaely
Parrotlet

Postby maillet » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 pm

Penny has a strong point. By 2 hours a day do you mean ACTIVE (Interacting) or PASSIVE (Nearby) time. I did a bit of the research on your behalf. Minimum a Senegal should be getting one hour a day of active exposure, and three to four hours of passive care like watching television with you.

These birds do not require as much attention as some species like Amazons, although ideally your bird should spend 2-3 hours of ACTIVE interaction and 2-3 hours more of PASSIVE interaciton. You need to realise a bird is like a toddler, if 2 hours a day is all it sees you than it explains a lot. If it does get the appropriate amont of attention (based on these numbers) then here is some PYSCH.

From what I have read, and based on your responses I would have to agree with the others. You ARE altering your behavior in an effort to stop his screaming and he is taking notice. If you even reward silence, or punish noise, he is reciveing more attention and will see noise as a successful means to communicate with you or to achieve his goals. Parrots speak only for this basic reason.

My advice before the behavior is too engrained is simply make a note of how you behaved prior to his recent outbursts. If you only spent 2 hours a day, only spend that amont of time. Ignore all the noises entirely whether a good or bad (as if he was not doing them at all). Eventually he will learn it serves no purpose and will cease making what he will view as "Pointless Noise". But be patient.

The main thing to consider is that if this behavior is not "normal" to his personality than he has a valid reason for the behavior. He is not doing it to "Mess" with your head. All you need to do is to figure out why he is doing it (Maybe he desires more attention, or is expressing health concerns)?

Your question should not be "How do I stop it" but rather "Why is he doing it?". Once you have the answer to the Why question than an answer will likely fall into place whatever you may decide.
maillet
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: New potential owner with several questions on selection and raising.

Postby konceppt » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:58 am

My senegal is also screaming but only when i leave the room.If she was screaming for apparently no reason i think i would be inclined to take her to an avian vet just to make sure there is no underlying health problem?
konceppt
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot Female

Postby abgrifti » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi my 4 year old Senegal has scream is a specific pitched "monotone" which she does early in the morning just as everyone at home is starting to get up and:/or when I leave the room which is trying all our patience. She doesn't really do it if I am here on my own or when. I am not here but the others are. Other than this she is a great bird :I've tried ignoring her and covering up which sometimes works but only of an evening when it's getting dark .
Any ideas. Would be appreciated :senegal:
abgrifti
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Next

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations