Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

screaming senegal parrot

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: screaming senegal parrot

Postby marie83 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 am

I think your bird needs more attention than 2 hours a day. Birds are flock animals and are within that group pretty much 24/7. Of course our lives generally do not work around the lives of our animals so we have to find ways to work around. I agree that 2 hours direct attention should be the minimum but they also need more attention less directly as someone else posted.

Mine are on a variable schedule, they usually get about 5 hours of direct or indirect attention from either me or my partner, sometimes this isn't possibly and they are lucky to get an hour but this is rare. Other days they will be out all day. This isn't anywhere near ideal but they have each other for company (indirectly) when we are out but it does keep them relatively stress free because they are used to expecting the unexpected.

I should start changing his toys before he gets bored, when an animal gets bored of a toy and it is taken out the next time the toy gets put back in they either remember they are bored of it or get bored of it more quickly. Personally I feel toys should be rotated a minimum of weekly.
Have a look on the homemade toy thread for ideas on how to keep your bird busy, give your bird lots of foraging stuff. The busier he is the less he should scream.

Try to predict when he is most likely to scream and try to prevent it before it starts. If he starts screaming when you leave the house then give him a bath right before you go, if he screams whilst you are watching TV then give him something to do before you switch the TV on for example. When he takes the bait then you can reward him for being quiet. Completely ignore him when he screams.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby GreenWing » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:17 am

Yes, Senegals don't have the reputation of being "screamers"... Tiki "can" be noisy but she doesn't scream... more so calls for me.

I would suggest you spend more time with your Sennie... 2 hours daily doesn't seem to be enough; Tiki wouldn't like that, either!

Make sure your Sennie has plenty of toys for stimulation, too.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Wayne361 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 pm

There is screaming and then there are location calling. My :senegal: rarely screams (only when I arrive home out of excitement and if i am not early enough on morning feeding) but will do his locator call when I leave the room on occation. I have trained him to whistle instead the marko polo deal. Where he will whistle "marko" and I whistle back "polo". This seems to pacify him into knowiing where I am and takes the place of his locator call. We do this every morning while I am in the washroom getting ready for work. He will only use his locator call when I am out of whistling distance...smart little guys...

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby GreenWing » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Wayne361 wrote:There is screaming and then there are location calling. My :senegal: rarely screams (only when I arrive home out of excitement and if i am not early enough on morning feeding) but will do his locator call when I leave the room on occation. I have trained him to whistle instead the marko polo deal. Where he will whistle "marko" and I whistle back "polo". This seems to pacify him into knowiing where I am and takes the place of his locator call. We do this every morning while I am in the washroom getting ready for work. He will only use his locator call when I am out of whistling distance...smart little guys...

Wayne

Agreed, I have a similar thing with my :senegal: ... she does this high pitched call, and I mimic it back to let her know "I hear you, I'm here, I'm okay" kind of thing.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Previous

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations