Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Jenday Conure - Speaking Abilities?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Jenday Conure - Speaking Abilities?

Postby Mangoismybird » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Jenday Conures, and if they knew any whou could speak? :) My birdie picks up tricks and behavioral things pretty quickly, but is a little slow on the speaking. I knew that she wouldn't speak a lot when I got her - the breeder said a max of ten words - but everyone has different experiences and so I was curious. Right now she can sort of say "yeah!", its a little garbled but she has gotten my tone of voice down! Also, since I whistle to her, she has been trying to imitate my whistling...in squeaking in a high pitch. As you can guess it sounds....fantastic. :violin: :roll:

I think she's also been trying to say her name, at least she copies my tone of voice.

She is still young, but I usually catch her practicing in the mornings over her new food and water, or when she's taking a bath. Should I be encouraging it? She backs off when I interrupt her though, so I'm never sure if it's a good sign. ;)

Thanks!
-Mango and her owner :jenday:
Mangoismybird
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conure, Medium Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Jenday Conure - Speaking Abilities?

Postby LQEnder » Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I have a Jenday as well. If you youtube Jendays talking, they really don't. The mimic vocal tones, so if you say 'I love you' with a hi pitch "love" (as a lot of people tend to do), it can mimic that sound pitch very well. You know exactly what he said, but no one else will. :) I also have an African grey that has several hundred words (we have a list).

Of the two, I have a lot more fun with the Jenday. He picks up tricks crazy fast, sometimes in one session. But if your looking for a true talker, you may want to look into the greater parrots. Also, there are some people that claim they can understandably talk, but from my own experience, and intensive youtubing, it doesn't seem likely.
-Chris

:gray: Rosie (African Grey)
:sun: D'Artagnan--Dart for short (Jenday conure)
:budgie: Lyra (Baby Budgie-hatched April 1st, 2012)
LQEnder
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot (Congo) 9 years (1 with us)
Jenday Conure 2-3 years
Flight: No

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations