Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Will my bird ever talk

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Will my bird ever talk

Postby Mari » Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 am

In my last post I said how I had adopted a 28 year old blue fronted amazon. He had been really neglected and left in a tiny cage outside with little to no human contact. However in the 4 weeks that I've had him he has gone from falling off his perch in fear when I walk in the room to stepping up on my arm, sitting in my lap for a cuddle, following me round the room and choosing to sit on me and watch tv although he is still wary of my hands and will bite them if they get too close without his say so lol. My question is will he be able to learn words and phrases or is it too late due to his age and bad start in life. He makes little chirping noises to me when he's on my lap and looks like he is really trying to have a conversation. If it's not too late any ideas on how to encourage his vocalisation?
Mari
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: Will my bird ever talk

Postby Michael » Wed May 09, 2012 9:00 am

Ask him why he isn't talking :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby marie83 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:15 pm

First off I just want to say well done for taking in this bird and turning his life around. I know from experience just how much hard work this can be. Secondly I don't think any animal is ever too old to learn new things unless their age brings on senile behaviour (don't know if this exist in birds). From what I've been taught all animals go through a stage where learning is optimal and that stage is generally early adulthood, too young and the animal gets easily distracted or doesn't have the capacity for learning although that isn't to say they dont learn.
With regard to talking the key I'm lead to believe is repetition, but then I've heard of other owners that repeat words over and over because they want the bird to say it then the bird picks up on a word that isn't said all that much...... Who knows really. I do think that it isn't too late though, maybe he is already talking but not when you are around lol.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby LQEnder » Tue May 22, 2012 6:40 pm

I have a rehomed Grey, and went through the same thing. In fact, I'm impressed he warmed up to you so fast. It was at least 3 months before we could handle Rosie. About that time she started picking up words, although she knew some from her old owners. Now she wont shut up :D But like I said, it took months. Be patient and keep trying.
-Chris

:gray: Rosie (African Grey)
:sun: D'Artagnan--Dart for short (Jenday conure)
:budgie: Lyra (Baby Budgie-hatched April 1st, 2012)
LQEnder
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot (Congo) 9 years (1 with us)
Jenday Conure 2-3 years
Flight: No

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations