Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

He talks!

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

He talks!

Postby cml » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Stitch has been saying "yeah" and "noooooo" for a while, as well as "wow" but these are very short words that could just be sounds, but a couple of days ago he said: "Thank you", clear as a day =)!

He loves learning from youtube videos, thats how he learned how to sing opera (the magic flute) and he learned "thank you" from Marnie on youtube!
My wife is now trying to teach him to say "good day".

Leroy has made progress in the speaking department as well, he doesnt say any words, but he has also started to sing opera, the same song from the magic flute as Stitch and I sing. He's great at it :D. I am very proud of him, it shows that he wants to sound like the rest of the flock =)!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: He talks!

Postby liz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Don't you just love it.

Rambo is talking less though still talking when he has something to say.
Myrtle is slow to pick up words though she does know how to use the words she says.

That is okay. I never wanted trick parrots that could talk. I am glad they can pretty much tell me what is going on with them.

All I require is for them to be happy. Other than Rambo not being able to fly, I think they are the happiest birds I have ever seen.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby GreenWing » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:23 am

That is so cute! Even when not expected, it's a pleasant surprise when your parrot does talk. :)

Tiki is only 6 months old, and she says "Hi" and "Love you" already, but it sounds baby-talkish. She also mumbled "Good girl" once; I haven't heard her say it since. We give her a sunflower seed whenever she speaks.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby cml » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm

GreenWing wrote:That is so cute! Even when not expected, it's a pleasant surprise when your parrot does talk. :)

Tiki is only 6 months old, and she says "Hi" and "Love you" already, but it sounds baby-talkish. She also mumbled "Good girl" once; I haven't heard her say it since. We give her a sunflower seed whenever she speaks.

I try treat ours as well when we catch them speaking, or at the very least shower them with attention =)!
cml
African Grey

Postby cml » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Today, when Stitch didnt think we were listening (we were in an other room) we heard him practicing!
He said more stuff from the youtube video like:

"He's so cute"
"Wawawawa"
"Thank you"

along with a lot of gibberish talk sounds =)!

Things are definatly happening with his vocalizations, most of this happened very quickly. He just turned one year old, before this it has only been "yes" and "no", but those are easy words ^^.

We are gonna watch some more of Marnie and another favorite which is menino singing the magic flute =). Even though I didnt expect him to ever talk, white fronts are known not to speak well at all, its very fun and great to see :D !

A funny side note is that english isnt his "native language" (if a bird can have one ;)), but half his vocabulary is now in english ^^.
cml
African Grey

Postby terri » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:35 pm

I wish my birds could sing!! [Well maybe max can a little [my grey] LOL] .The birds that I can see on you tube really talking and singing are always amazons[they must be smart].I think Stitch might be teaching Leroy :D I think theres something true to birds being male and a year old talk more[It seems so at my house] My lory [Louie] can say alot but its very fast .It started when he was over a year old.I must be getting older because my daughter can take in everything hes saying [my hearings not as good] .The birds are always saying great things when its hectic.[and you have no idea what it is] then are silent when the house is quiet :D Due your guys try to imitate you or your wife? This is OT but It made me realize you said Stitch is a year old .Ive read your posts and you talk about his behavior.I think he might be in [his terrible 2s] and it can start at 1.They start having problems with things that they were ok with before.[Mine did this] They come out of it .I think its a phase :D
terri
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby cml » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:13 pm

terri wrote: Due your guys try to imitate you or your wife?

I'd say both, the "thank you" is more Marnie from youtube and my wife, but the magic flute is more of his and my thing, even though he learned that originally from youtube as well.
Its the same with Leroy and the magic flute, he learned it from my wife and Stitch I think, but now its mainly him and me doing that sound, as chit chatting while im at the computer and he's in his cage behind my desk. So they both imitate us both =)!

This is OT but It made me realize you said Stitch is a year old .Ive read your posts and you talk about his behavior.I think he might be in [his terrible 2s] and it can start at 1.They start having problems with things that they were ok with before.[Mine did this] They come out of it .I think its a phase :D

We thought about this, but figured he was too young...I think you may be right though ;) !
cml
African Grey

Postby cml » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:08 pm

He's definetely getting better and better! He spends hours practicing each day, and its giving results. A side note is that he's started to imitate Mr pretty bird, marnies cockatiel friend, as well and he has a most annoying whistle tune that he repeats over and over ;) .
cml
African Grey

Postby liz » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:14 pm

If you think Marnie and Mr Pretty Bird are funny. Try looking for Boozle the Amazon.
liz
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby cml » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Leroy is currently trying to vocalize his first "thank you" right behind me ^^. He also regulary tries to say "dad" with varying degree of success :).
cml
African Grey

Next

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations