Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Shrills, whistles, and squeals!!

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Shrills, whistles, and squeals!!

Postby Stephoklein » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 pm

I finally found someone who talks more than me!! My new adopted eclectus loves to chat! It brings me hours of laughter as he mimics everything I do! However once in a blue moon he makes a loud shrill or scream. Now what I have been Doing when he does this is I say a word he knows over and over until he repeats it then i Say good boy and treat him. Or if I'm in another room I will do the same and enter the room when he repeats the word. Is this the right approach? Or should I do it differently?
:sun: - Maxine
:eclectus: - Odie
Stephoklein
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus and Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: Shrills, whistles, and squeals!!

Postby marie83 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:27 pm

He is probably doing whatever noise makes you pay him attention again and doing by that noise he figures out you are going to talk to him.
The best response is to completely ignore him to avoid reinforcing those noises. Go back and reward him when he falls quiet.

I've heard of other people replacing the screams with another noise but I've never tried it and I wouldn't know how to go about it correctly.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Shrills, whistles, and squeals!!

Postby Stephoklein » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:38 pm

marie83 wrote:He is probably doing whatever noise makes you pay him attention again and doing by that noise he figures out you are going to talk to him.
The best response is to completely ignore him to avoid reinforcing those noises. Go back and reward him when he falls quiet.

I've heard of other people replacing the screams with another noise but I've never tried it and I wouldn't know how to go about it correctly.

Thanks for the advice!!! I don't mind him vocalizing I enjoy the talking. I will ignore the squeals rather than talk back and see how that works : :eclectus: :sun:
:sun: - Maxine
:eclectus: - Odie
Stephoklein
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus and Sun Conure
Flight: No

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations