Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

12 yr old Nanday Conure

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

12 yr old Nanday Conure

Postby anettstewart » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:24 pm

I recently adopted a 12 yr old Nanday, who supposedly talked 10 yrs ago but hasn't said anything since. Do I have any chance of getting him to talk again? I talk to him all the time, call him by name, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you! :swaying:
anettstewart
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 15
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets, Cananries, Finches, Lovebirds, Jenday Conures
Flight: Yes

Re: 12 yr old Nanday Conure

Postby liz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:44 pm

If you can find out what words he said before it would help.

Rambo came to me from a woman who treated him like a kid. He talked a lot. When I got him the excitment of the house really had him talking. That is when I learned that he knew what he was saying.

He progressed rapidly. One day I was calling my little dog Lola and she was ignoring me. He copied what I said with "Lola come're". I got tired of call and he turned to me and said "Lola not come're".

Since then he has picked up more including using the word won't but has really slowed down on his talking. He only talks now to call for someone or a critter. He will also ask questions and will answer questions but does not talk near as much as he did at first. It is like he matured and only talks when he has something to say.

My baby Myrtle talks some but really likes sounds. Her favorites are yay, yoohoo, wow, and woo woo when the train goes by. She will ask for a tickle. Sing La La La and want me to join her. She will also start a game of peek a boo.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby anettstewart » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:30 am

Thank you for your reply. I keep talking to him and have my fingers crossed!

Anyone else out there with any suggestions?
anettstewart
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 15
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets, Cananries, Finches, Lovebirds, Jenday Conures

Postby Polarn » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:21 am

From what I have gathered birds are most likely to pick up words when their peaking on the emotional scale weather it is to the frighten direction or excited. The excited is obviously the way to go tho, this means if your birds gets hyper and all exited when showering for example, that's when he will have the best chance to pick up new words. Or if he is exited when you bring him fresh fruits etc. use these peaks and always either say what your doing every time and it'll pick up on that or repeat what you want it to say and ofc it would be easier if you know what it has previously been able to say.

But basically the generally seems to pick up more when flinging around excited than when their sitting on a perch looking at you as you speak.
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations