Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

1 year old Rose Cockatoo

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

1 year old Rose Cockatoo

Postby egenlauf » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 am

I have a now 1 year old female rose cockatoo (Peanut). We have had her for about 6 months and supposedly at the store she was saying "Hello" but I think since she has been home we have heard her mumbling from the other room and try and encourage it. My wife and I both talk to her all the time, asking if she wants to come out before we take her out, talking to her while she is out, using the names of foods and such when we talk to her. Any other suggestions on helping her to perhaps learn to talk. She seems to be trying but since none of my other birds have ever made attempts even to talk I would like to encourage it as much as possible.
egenlauf
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Parakeets - Maddie and Geddy
1 Cockatiel - Spike
1 Black Cap Caique - Sammy
1 Gallah Cockatoo - Peanut
Flight: Yes

Re: 1 year old Rose Cockatoo

Postby Pricey_boy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:53 am

When your trying to teach them what different words mean and say them when you ask them something or tell them something repeat the world multiple times thats what I did a
With my 3 galahs and when I do that they learn different phrases and sentences every month
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby egenlauf » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 am

Pricey_boy wrote:When your trying to teach them what different words mean and say them when you ask them something or tell them something repeat the world multiple times thats what I did a
With my 3 galahs and when I do that they learn different phrases and sentences every month

Thanks for the reply. I will continue to work on that if it's working for you. I typically say "Good Morning" several times in the morning to all the birds as I uncover them. I also say "Hello" frequently as the pet store said that was what she was saying there. I have only heard her mumbling a couple times sounding like she was trying to talk and I encourage, bridge and treat when I hear that. I talk to her like a person most of the time but try and repeat short phrases like "Wanna come out" "Rub the bird" "hello" and "whatcha doin" alot with her. We had a foster bare eyed cockatoo for a short period that was a talking machine, I said the F-word one time in the same room and of course he started repeating it. That gave me hope that perhaps my gallah would be able to at least say a few things.
egenlauf
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Parakeets - Maddie and Geddy
1 Cockatiel - Spike
1 Black Cap Caique - Sammy
1 Gallah Cockatoo - Peanut

Postby terri » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 pm

My Galah spits out a few word and useally its when shes facing her food dish :D Otherwise shes very quiet.I hear males talk more.But you never know keep talking to her! :D
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby Pricey_boy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:40 am

My galahs spent months just mumbling and over time it got more clear
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
rainbow lorikeet

Postby Pricey_boy » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:41 am

The bests time to talk to them is very earl in the morning or just as it starts to get dark
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
rainbow lorikeet

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations