Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Male Senegals better talkers?

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Male Senegals better talkers?

Postby GreenWing » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:10 pm

Tiki, my female sennie, is very vocal but her words aren't always clear. She says "Love you" but also says "I love you" and I have heard her say "Hi" and "Good girl." She has a very baby-ish, tiny voice. It's adorable.

I was wondering if male Senegals are known to be better talkers? I've heard different responses on this one, so I'm curious.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Male Senegals better talkers?

Postby Michael » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:35 pm

Not really. Senegals tend to be poor talkers male or female. It's more about the exceptional individual that happens to be a good talker than a specific sex.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GreenWing » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm

That sounds about right. Thanks, Michael!
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Wayne361 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:55 pm

I've only had a male :senegal: but from what I have been reading he is a pretty good talker for a sennie. I got him as a re-home (kijiji) about a year ago when he was 8. He picks up new words once in a while too. What I notice is he will speak softly with new words. Almost like he is self concious of not saying the word correctly. But he is very vocal with the words he knows or gets to know. Talking to me is not important in regard to a pet parrot but is cool when he states what he wants and uses in context such as food (yum yums), his favourite food (banana) and when he wants to be picked up (step up). Every morning he greets me with "hey buddy" I gave him a carrot once when he said yum yums. He promptly whipped it across the room and said "banana buddy"..... Sorry cant answer your question but just give you my experience.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby GreenWing » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks, Wayne. Your sennie sounds like a lot of fun! Tiki is vocal, however her talking isn't always very clear. She says "love you" and sometimes it's clearer than other times when it sounds like "mew mew." She tries to say "good girl" but the two syllables sound like a babyish "roo ruh" ... but at least she's trying. :) She'll talk nonstop if I have yogurt covered sunflower seeds around.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Wayne361 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:50 pm

GreenWing wrote:Thanks, Wayne. Your sennie sounds like a lot of fun! Tiki is vocal, however her talking isn't always very clear. She says "love you" and sometimes it's clearer than other times when it sounds like "mew mew." She tries to say "good girl" but the two syllables sound like a babyish "roo ruh" ... but at least she's trying. :) She'll talk nonstop if I have yogurt covered sunflower seeds around.

Ya he amazes me sometimes. He is 9 and didnt talk much when I got him just over a year ago. A few words only. Seems he has opened up and is learning more all the time. I like to enjoy a nice cold can of beer when I get home at night....before having the beer I will get Oscar out of his cage and he hangs out with me. When he sees the beer he makes the sound of the can opening EXACTLY as it sounds then makes the noise of the beer being drank (as he is often on my shoulder when he first gets to see me. Funny but cool. Thats his latest thing hes picked up. Always something new....
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby alliethebirdnerd » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 am

i have 2 male senegals, one talks a lot but it's like a little doll voice, but it's clear, and he makes a lot of other vocalizations as well- squeaky doors, whistles, ringtones, R2D2 (lol), different songs, microwaves, house alarms, as well as throwing his voice. my other one does strictly sound effects for the most part.
:senegal: :senegal: :amazon2: :amazon2:

Allie
alliethebirdnerd
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots
Parrotlets

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations