Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

long billed corella

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

long billed corella

Postby Pricey_boy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:27 am

my long billed corella is about 1yr old now and very healthy but he still has never talked or mimiced any sound but he only makes a loud call when he hears wild birds or wnats my attention what would be the best training methods to teach him to talk
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet
Flight: Yes

Re: long billed corella

Postby GreenWing » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:56 pm

Well, he may not talk; don't expect a parrot to talk. Talk to him as you handle him. Repeat words as you're affectionate. Encourage him when he tries to talk and give treats.

Tiki learned to say "love you" at six months, but it wasn't very clear at first. I just repeated myself as I petted her and handled her. Now it sounds clearer after working with her and she says "I love you", too, among other garbled, babyish words ;)
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby terri » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Thats so neat you have a long billed corella :D Is it western or eastern? Are you in Australia? I would love to get a western.Is he a nice bird? My cockatoo didnt say much till over a year [I think males talk more] As for the rest of my birds they continue to learn different things ,dont give up. Check out Roy the long billed corella on u tube
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby Pricey_boy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:05 am

i think hes a western LBC same as roy from youtube and the ones where i live in perth w.a but even though hes never talked he is the friendliest bird and has never biten anyone and hes trick trained all the tricks he knows he learned in under 10 minutes so did my lorikeet as well but all of my other birds learned to talk at under 6mnths

BTW my corella was a rescued bird that fell out of the the nest at 12 weeks and i got him for only 100$
Pricey_boy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 3 galah cockatoos
Grey and white weiro
Long billed corella
mutation scaly breasted lorikeet
rainbow lorikeet

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:26 am

greenwing is right some birds never talk. my :amazon: never did.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Polarn » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:18 am

Amazons are known to talk up a storm but as pennys mine doesnt talk either.. well occationally he says Hello but he is definitly not a talker. But i try to encourage him to talk and constantly talks to him as well as saying goodnight before i shut the light and then once right as I do it. same with goodmorning. everytime i step into the room i excitedly say "howdie Polarn" in hopes he may say it back to me one day :) but as for now he "only" mimmicks sounds from other animals etc. But then I didnt get him to have a speaking bird even if birds speaking are quite adorable :)
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:17 pm

i feel the same polarn :thumbsup: i always hated when people looked down on my :amazon: just because he didn't speak words. they are so much more than talking ability.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Polarn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:03 am

hehe yeah first thing some people asks (especially my father whenever we talk) is if he talk yet, or sits on your shoulder when your walking around the house. As if this were the two most important things... But then he always kept toos wich all were cuddlebugs... I'm happy though that he doesnt fail to see the progress the birds here are doing even if they doesnt learn new words their learning other things :)
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations