Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

IRN screaming

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

IRN screaming

Postby dan4 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:52 pm

My stuey is driving me crazy, i mananged to break the most of his screaming i think but everyday when i go to eat dinner AFTER feeding/tickling him and generally making a fuss of him, he begins to make some cute "aaaa-choooo" noises and then retorts to screaming constantly which is quite painfull

He also bangs his beak on the perch or bars and attacks a swinging toy whilst the screaming is occuring, like he's getting very aggitated. I ignore this and then he will randomly just make cute noises and listen to the tv

What are the thoughts on this?
dan4
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck - blue
Flight: Yes

Re: IRN screaming

Postby friend2parrots » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:46 pm

the beak banging is a sign of high stress - something may be stressing him out?
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby liz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:56 pm

He wants YOUR food. He can smell it and knows that he didn't get any. I usually give mine a plate to share on their patteo of the safe stuff I am eating. When they see me going to their patteo they follow. Okay - sometimes Rambo wants carried to get there faster.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby friend2parrots » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 pm

liz wrote:He wants YOUR food. He can smell it and knows that he didn't get any.

yes, this makes perfect sense! you may have to eat in a place where he cant see you if youre not willing to share each time.
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby marie83 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:21 pm

The food thing might make sense, theres certainly no harm in changing his feed times so he is eating his meal when you are but I'm a little doubtful of this theory as he has already eaten his meal and shouldn't still be hungry or at least, shouldn't be as tempted by your food because it is different to what he had. That said most people eat at times when they are not hungry so yes, it could be that. You can try it and see what happens.

My other thought is if he has already been out, had his attention and playtime, followed by his meal that he knows that your attention is now elsewhere. He could be screaming to re-divert your attention back to him, even if it doesn't work then theres no harm trying right? If a joint meal time doesn't work (eg he starts the screaming after you have both eaten)then maybe he needs something special inside his cage to distract him from the screaming.

If its not too late for him to dry out fully before bed then give him a bath, maybe a few favorite toys on rotation that he only gets around that time of day- whatever you try they all need to be offered to him before he actually starts the screaming otherwise it may be seen as a reward.

Another thing you could try is to give him a little attention when he makes a more preferable noise, a little attention occasionally for nicer noises is surely better than no attention for screaming? Hopefully he will click on to that but I would try this idea only if the other suggestions dont help.

Also if the screaming is right before the time that he goes to bed then it may just be in his nature to scream at that time of day, most parrots do a dawn and dusk chorus in the wild so it might just be something you have to tolerate I'm afraid.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby dan4 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:53 am

He cannot eat what i eat most of the time, i do share my veg with him when i can but thats about it. Its going to be very difficult to modify his eating times as i have no choice but to leave him food all the time as im out of the house 10-12 hours a day. I guess il have to put up with it for now, i broke the other screaming but this will probably never change. The bath idea may be a good option though or maybe a special treat when i eat to keep him occupied
dan4
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck - blue

Postby spiral71 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:31 am

i use cardbard on a peice of leather to destract my bird when shes board she likes untieng notts also and wooden clothespegs are enjoyed she is hapiest when she has something to chew, or her platic covered bell to throw around just a thought
spiral71
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: female indian ringneck 5 to 6 years old

Postby Pralina » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:05 pm

i like the idea of making him like his cage by putting something interesting in it. a forraging toy perhaps with treats he can't resist? you can save that toy (or those few toys) for his special evening moment. :)
he knows he will get them after his food, before bedtime, in his cage. therefore going in the cage and staying in = FUN !!!! :D

then before putting him to sleep or in the morning you remove the item...
Pralina
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Pesho (Alexandrine)
Echo (Timneh Grey)
Akilles (Indian Ringneck)
Mango & Kiwi (Peachface Lovebirds)

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations