Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Please Help My Sennie is Screaming

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Re: Please Help My Sennie is Screaming

Postby GreenWing » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Senegals aren't known to be screamers. Could the bird be sick? Also how much attention does your sennie get daily?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Postby Eurycerus » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:20 pm

Nika, my Senegal, screams a ton when I'm gone. I'm pretty sure it's parrot specific and how they've been handled through their life. You have received good advice thus far. I constantly reinforce the noises I like from Nika, although she's usually pretty good when I'm in the house about not making terrible noises.

Diggy, my foster Senegal, apparently doesn't scream when I'm gone.

Another issue that may result in screaming is Nika is definitely bonded to me but Diggy is not. Nika bonded almost instantly with me, even when I left for a week the bond did not diminish unfortunately. If your parrot is bonded to you, you could try to have someone else interact with your parrot more than you, give the treats, food, etc, and it may diminish some of the screaming.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:50 pm

For me ignoring worked, but that could have just been because my second hand parrots were screaming because they were terrified of human company and not because they wanted attention.
I got a book, some food and sat with my back to the cage until they stopped screaming (Over 5 hours without a toliet break :lol: ), helped that I had earplugs though and that I did it the second day I had them.

Maybe your parrot just likes screaming, are there any fun foraging toys you could get?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Previous

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations