Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Will talking improve

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Will talking improve

Postby Choklits » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 am

Hi there,
I have a macaw about 8 months old. I can hear he is "talking" but cannot make out the words. Will this improve to clear words or is this a sign of his talking "ability" and will stay unclear?

YOur help is appreciated!
Thanks
Choklits
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw
Flight: No

Re: Will talking improve

Postby hnhobu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 am

Choklits wrote:Hi there,
I have a macaw about 8 months old. I can hear he is "talking" but cannot make out the words. Will this improve to clear words or is this a sign of his talking "ability" and will stay unclear?

YOur help is appreciated!
Thanks

Before you read what I have to say, please note that I have never owned a macaw myself. I have only dealt with the ones at the pet store where I was previously employed and some mutual friends' macaws.

Although Macaws can talk, they are not among the clearest of talkers. In my opinion, their talking often sounds like loud cackling that I can compare with conures. I'm not saying this because I don't think your Macaws talking abilities will improve, I'm just saying that you shouldn't expect them to talk as clearly as a African Grey or a Ringneck Parakeet.

It sounds to me like your Macaw is just practicing, and hasn't fully developed his speaking skills yet. It is more than likely that he will start developing a clearer 'voice' and you will be able to start recognizing words soon. Most birds don't start practicing their speech until after a one year mark, so you should consider yourself among the 'lucky' ones.
hnhobu
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach Faced Lovebird, Gray Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby terri » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Harlow [my female catalina Macaw] is almost 2 now.When I first brought her home[she was just weaned] she said hi and what [not much] I thought she wasnt going to be much of a talker[I hear males talk more].Just when I have given up ,you should hear her now [and its very clear].I keep trying to record her.It might be your Macaw needs to get older [keep talking]. :D
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby Choklits » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:37 am

Thanks so much Girls!!
Choklits
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw
Flight: No

Postby GreenWing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:41 pm

I think it does. At least, it has with my own bird who talks A LOT. Keep encouraging the chatter with praise and treats. Say the same words when you greet your bird in the morning, when you handle your bird, and at bedtime. :thumbsup:
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations