Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Can you teach an old bird to talk

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Can you teach an old bird to talk

Postby shadows3 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:11 pm

Hello, my sister gave my her Amazon Parrot. My sister has had the bird for 12 years and believes the parrot is 20 years old. The bird's name is Senorita. My husband and I have fallen in love with Senorita. We sit with her several times a day and talk to her. Can an old bird learn to talk? Thank you Anita
shadows3
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Amazon Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Can you teach an old bird to talk

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:51 pm

they are never too old to learn but some birds like my bluefront :amazon: never talk. i'm a little sensitive about this because when people would come over and ask if he could talk they would walk away like he wasn't good enough because he wouldn't preform for them. i hope you can accept that your bird may never say a word.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby shadows3 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Hello pennyandrocky, thank you for responding to my post. Absolutely I can accept Senorita not ever talking. I have never have owned a bird before and i just wanted to know if its too late for her to learn. I am hoping that on this forum I can gain wisdom from people like you that own and love your birds. Any advice on how to teach her to talk?

thank you, anita
shadows3
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Amazon Parrot

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:19 am

i tell my penny :gcc:" i love you" everyday so he just repeats. mya :corella: came to us saying "what are you doing?" but we say "what do you think you're doing?" yesterday she said that. it's alot of repeating everyday what you want them to say. you do have to be careful what you say around them like children sometimes they say what you don't want repeated.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:33 pm

one more thing when i was talking to the man who was fostering mya before i adopted her told me they learn to talk better from females and children because of the high pitch in the voice.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby Polarn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 am

Well women and children doesnt surprise me since they usually pick up things easier when their excited (for whatever reason) and they usually find drama quite exciting :P joke aside, yeah I think it is something to the high pitch in female and childrens voices that peaks their interest more, I mean a man (well can't speak for everyone but my voice is quite dark) when I slightly up my pitch to speak to the birds my voicepitch is still quite a bit lower than most females in a normal conversation and when a female ups her pitch to speak to birds/animals its miles in difference between me and them... But a lot of birds seems to catch on while doing something that causes over excitement such as showering...
Polarn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations