Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

First flight

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

First flight

Postby jayburr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:40 am

So I have a young parrot about 3 months old. I have had him for 4 days now and he has clipped wings, I know I have a long road to go to train him, but I want to know how long I have before his wing grow and he try to fly around.
jayburr
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: No

Re: First flight

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:51 am

Welcome to the forum but more info is needed in order to answer the question because, if we are talking about a large species of parrot which was clipped before it fledged, he might never fly (if they don't learn when they are babies, they never do] but, if we are talking about a bird that did fledge and was clipped after or one from a small species it will take a few weeks, a year or two, depending on where you live and the bird's age. This is because baby birds don't molt their primaries until they are one year old as the juvenile molt is only coverts. Where you are is also important because parrots molt once a year after the end of the breeding season so, for example, here in USA, some short day breeders are already molting and the long day breeders will do it in a month or two but, if you live in the Southern Hemisphere, you would have to wait until next February or March for it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby jayburr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:52 am

He is a smaller breed, and I think he was clipped after he fledged, because he will flaps his wings and try to fly but only hovers to the ground. Then when he gets there he looks at me like now what. He also tries to fly from my shoulder to his cadge, and the same thing he just kind of floats to the ground and the gets all mad, like it's my fault he can't fly. Also I am in the USA.
jayburr
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 am

Then you will have to wait until he gets his first full molt. I am not criticizing but I am curious, don't you know what species your bird is? If you don't and you describe it to us, we should be able to help.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks