Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do you have/use a parrot harness?

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Yes, I have one and I take my parrot outdoors wearing it
42%
I have one but I don't use it
32%
No, I don't have one but want one
23%
No, I don't have and don't want one
3%

Total votes : 31

Postby Michael » Thu May 30, 2013 7:09 pm

I'm wondering how many of you own harnesses and of the ones who have them how many use them? As for the folks that don't have them, why not? Is it cause you feel your parrot wouldn't wear it? Too expensive? Or just not interested in taking your parrot outdoors?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Do you have/use a parrot harness?

Postby janetafloat » Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 am

I have one and would really like to use it but it's a huge undertaking to get a bird to accept wearing one. I was making good progress but my Sennie went mad the first time I put it on him and was just biting it and trying to pull it off him, and I got bit trying to take it off him. Then he had a round of antibiotics and now he doesn't want me to touch him at all on his body :(
Back to square one.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby KimberlyAnn » Fri May 31, 2013 1:27 am

I would like to get one and use it, I'm just worried about the amount of hawks and other wild birds of prey around here lately. Just a few miles from me, a bird was taken off the shoulder of his owner when they were sitting on the balcony of their apartment. Small dogs and cats have been getting attacked too. Construction along the river always throws our wildlife area off. :/ I think I will still get one and train Emmi to wear one. We will be going up to our cabin a lot with her and birds of prey don't seem to ever fly overhead there. Just ducks in the small lake. Lots and lots of ducks. :)
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Brittanyv326 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:57 am

I have it, but I have not dedicated all the time it takes to desensitize Sadie to using it. She is REALLY scared of it and I followed your instructions a year or two ago when I tried to do it but gave up. I kept it because I do intend to try again, it is just a lot of work. She goes on the porch, and I'd love to take her with us on walks, but the reality is I'm not that motivated to take her outside. She has a 1600 square foot house with vaulted ceilings to fly free in and seems content.

One day, though, I will!
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby healthyaddict » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:19 pm

I have one as well. He's got nearly all the behaviors down to put it on, but he's still terrified of the harness itself. Working on it.
healthyaddict
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby feathermum » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:27 am

I couldn't vote...but I DO have 1 now !!! YAY :danicing: my hubby brought it home as a surprise! and i'v been training Spartacus & Tigg w/ it ( Michael, I finally got your videos to work!!)
Tigg is putting his head through & has no fear (woo-hooo!) I think within a wk he'll be outside in it!
Spartacus was a bit more tricky,as he is older. but I just kept it out for a few days constantly where he was, NOT trying to touch him w/ it, yesterday I started some basic training w/ a clicker & treats, and the whole time had the harness under him,over him next to him..he did great!! then got his head in, & while I ment to just put it over his head, then take it directly off, he kinda freaked & somehow got his wings through ~sigh~ he freaked. & b/c he put it on HIMSELF, the belt part wasn't fixed right, and got his foot a lil' stuck, took off flying. but this all happened in a matter of minuets & I got him & took the harness off, calmed him down. what amazes me is I thought for sure he would be DONE w/ it. nope, he's right back to letting me put it next to him, whatever,whereever I want. but i'm gonna give it couple days before I put his head through it again!! lol
~ THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET,THE MORE I LOVE MY PARROTS~
feathermum
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 m nanday conure, 2 jenday conures and S.I. Eclectus F
Flight: No

Postby marie83 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:08 pm

I ticked have one but don't use it because Ollie chews it relentlessly to the point I feel it is quite stressful for him so I want to do more training with him.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby A.J. » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:23 pm

I do have a harness and am in the process of getting my Sun Conure to use it. The only problem I am having is, once I get ot on him he tries to bite off the neck part. Does anyone have any advice for me? :sun:
A.J.
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Sun conure parrot, 3 parakeets (Budgies), 2 Zebra Finches

Postby Wayne361 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:13 pm

I selected "Yes I have one but don't use it" but I am training Oscar so we can use. Getting there...slooowwwly.

Wayne
Wayne361
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Elaihr » Fri May 16, 2014 3:45 am

I have one, but I haven't gotten far enough in our training to get her to wear it yet... I'm working on it on a daily basis though, so hopefully she'll be able to wear it in a not too distant future :) I really don't know how long training's "supposed" to take, but I prefer going slow and steady rather than rushing it...
Elaihr
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Blue-headed Pionus (Pionus menstruus)

Next

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks