Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Marvin thumbing his beak at recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Marvin thumbing his beak at recall

Postby Strawfrawg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Okay. My little darling, at 18 weeks old, has decided he isn't going to come when recalled unless he feels like it. Now he wants to roam the house at will, and flies off when I ask him to do something he doesn't want to do...like go to bed. Until this past few days he has been very compliant. Now what?
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Marvin thumbing his beak at recall

Postby KimberlyAnn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:20 pm

That's funny, because we are going through the same thing with Emmi. Not only has she learned to fly short distances with her clipped wings (Yay! :) But now she runs. She runs and runs and runs. All the time. And when she's not running, she's chewing, waving (New trick) or eating.

Honestly, I just learned to be patient. Lol Or I get one of my pita chips (She's never had one haha! That's why it works!) And act like I love them while ignoring her. She comes pretty fast after that. Then I hold her and rub her head and say my goodnights (For like 10 mins lol) and in the cage she goes.
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby janetafloat » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Hehe...honeymoon is over....welcome to my world!

Sorry, I couldn't resist :D. Try keeping the bestest treat for this purpose. Alfie would sell his soul for candied ginger. When all else fails a little tiny square of that will overcome his resolve to get the better of me and do what Alfie wants not what mum wants.

When he resists me I leave it for a few minutes, go and do something else and don't give him attention (if I start pushing then it's a battle of wills and that's never good, he's a hard headed little whatsit and will get attached to winning a battle of wills just on principle) then bring out the big guns and it usually works. I figure this is just a stage they go through, just like kids, and if we stay consistent and persistent it'll pass eventually.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:07 pm

It is all a matter of motivation. The skills I'm sure are there but the motivation isn't. Food Management can play a big role, however, I don't particularly recommend it with younger parrots.

Instead, especially while he's young, use a more jealousy and following mom approach. You're not going to get those recalls like I do where I stand there and have the bird fly to/from perch a dozen times. Instead, walk over to another part of the room and start doing something and then try calling your bird for the chance to sit on your shoulder and watch. They like to follow people around so putting it on cue as a recall can help.

A bit more on motivation:

http://TrainedParrot.com/Weight_Management
http://TrainedParrot.com/Motivation
http://TrainedParrot.com/Tom_Sawyer
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Gohar77 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:13 am

This is very nice post thanks...!!!
Johni
Gohar77
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby liz » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:54 am

Kimberly, Janet, you are on the right track. It is like when a baby learns to walk. Everything is new and put there for them to get into. Keep everything out of their way as much as you can. You would not leave a candy dish on the coffee table with a kid on the loose.

Everyone knows you don't try to potty train until they are close to two. Kids are not emotionally ready until then.

Raising two kids on my own, I learned to choose my battles. They will run out of mischief at that level. When they go to the next level is when you need to work with them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby DanaandPod » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:51 pm

I'd follow what Michael says to do. Pod, my parrot will stick his claw up as a wave trick instead...when he gets in a defiant mood. Sometimes even, he will pin his eyes and start to do a cocky odd dance...that cracks me up! :danicing: And, when he sees he cannot out stubborn me... he will fly away and go on an adventure around the floor. But, after a while will cave in and come back...at which point he knows he won't get a treat unless he does the flight and recall. But, he is an adult parrot.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks