Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wings uneven

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Wings uneven

Postby Cockatielsongs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:22 am

Hi all!
I noticed that Bandit could now somewhat fly, I walked away from him and flew about 3 meters and a half to get to me and landed on the floor, not crash landed but just landed on the floor. Unfortunately when I went to adopt him one of his wings were clipped. Should I clip his other wing so he won't be off balance and hurt himself now that he is starting to fly? When I say clip I don't mean actually clip his wings I mean clip to make both of them even?
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Wings uneven

Postby cml » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 am

Cockatielsongs wrote:Hi all!
I noticed that Bandit could now somewhat fly, I walked away from him and flew about 3 meters and a half to get to me and landed on the floor, not crash landed but just landed on the floor. Unfortunately when I went to adopt him one of his wings were clipped. Should I clip his other wing so he won't be off balance and hurt himself now that he is starting to fly? When I say clip I don't mean actually clip his wings I mean clip to make both of them even?

Imo yes, make them even and then let them both grow out :D . One wing clip is dangerous as their balance will be off.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Re: Wings uneven

Postby Cockatielsongs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:00 pm

cml wrote:
Cockatielsongs wrote:Hi all!

Imo yes, make them even and then let them both grow out :D . One wing clip is dangerous as their balance will be off.

Okay! Thanks for the reply :)
Bandit - Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Cockatielsongs
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Rose Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: No

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks