Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

In need help with the start of recall training!

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

In need help with the start of recall training!

Postby Tanika2171 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:17 am

Well I recently got my budgie Link, he is a very loving bird and he has all of his flight feathers. I wish to teach him recall, but I just don't know how to introduce it to him let alone start. Any tips or any input would be so helpful! He is still shy with me but he has warmed up to me very well and he has alot of patental.
Please help me out and thank-you so much. :D :budgie:
Tanika2171
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie(parakeet)
Flight: No

Re: In need help with the start of recall training!

Postby marie83 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:31 am

I think I lured Ollie with a treat or target stick (can't quite remember sorry) to start with at very short distance and letting him walk over the sofa to me to get it, then I would stand up so he had to fly up to get it. After that I gradually increased the distance. I would also tap where I wanted him to go. Very quickly (end of first session) he was flying the entire length of our large living room without being shown the treat. I did teach the "go to perch" command first though and I think that helped. Don't expect such fast results though, every bird is different.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby JaydeParrot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:01 pm

If you put him on a perch then ask the bird to come back or step up on to your hand and then reward with millet.

Slowly increase the distance your hand is from the perch so the bird has to jump and eventually fly to your hand.

This worked for me but suprisingly my bird never accepted the millet for jumping/flying, guess he just enjoyed the trick training.

It's probably best not to start off by training your bird to jump/fly from a perch on/in it's cage, as they never seem to be as motivated to jump/fly away from their home, cover it's empty cage with a towel, so it isn't as motivated to fly to it's cage instead of you during training.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby Dave & Karen » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:02 am

What I've found to work best with my birds was to simply let them out of the cage and fly around in the room, we have a lot of perches and other toys hanging from our ceiling so they're all overhead but we can reach the birds easily if needed.
What I did was after getting a new bird, I'd let him out and be free in the room, but everytime I walked up to him I'd offer him a treat, I wouldn't even try to pick him up or call him to me at this point, just hand him a treat and let him get used to me. After doing this for a few days I'd then ask him to step up and reward him with the treat until he got used to me now making him work for the treat by stepping up, this doesn't take very long, maybe a few days at most.
The next step is to offer the treat while calling his name but stay slightly out of his reach so he has to fly off his perch to my hand to get the treat. This part doesn't take very long because by this point the bird already trusts me. Then all I did was make that distance longer and longer until he had to fly all the way across the room to get to me to get the treat. Again, this part took a few days but he got the idea.

Once you can get him to fly to you from across the room you're almost there... Now it's time to reward more randomly instead of every time because you want your bird to fly to you knowing there's a chance to get a treat, also the reward can be a head scritch or anything else that's positive for the bird. Never call him to discipline him... which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

After a few short weeks my parrotlet will come to me just by either snaping my fingers and putting it up where he can land on it or calling his name. I also do this to him often so he comes to me for a quick head scritch or a bite of millet then I release him back to his playing etc, but now anytime I need him to come to me, he drops what he's doing to come to me.

The other birds I got are a bit less consistant, but I used different methods teaching them the recall, they worked but not as effective as this method, also the larger birds do tend to be more free willed and self serving, they will come to me when called but it's more like I call them and sometimes they'll be like "I'll be there in a second" instead of just coming straight to me every time.

this method also works for teaching your new bird other basics like not biting or stepping up etc... more on that if anyone asks.
Dave & Karen
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet
Lovebird
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Indian Ringneck
2 Quakers
DYH Amazon
Cockatiel
2 Budgeis

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:19 pm

For some reason my bird never accepts food rewards, what I did was I would get him to step up from a sofa arm and the next time moved my arm slightly away so that he had to jump to my arm rather than step up. Increase the distance and eventually the bird will begin to fly to you.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks