Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My cockatiel flewn away through our kitchen door

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

My cockatiel flewn away through our kitchen door

Postby Snoopy_the cockatiel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:35 am

Previously I had one cockatiel and we got a male cockatiel 3 months back.His wings are not clipped and I used to let him fly indoors after closing all the doors and windows.He was fine so far.Today as usual I have closed all the doors and kept my kitchen door open carelessly which leads a way to balcony.He was in the main hall.I went to the nearby room and came back to kitchen.All of a sudden he flewn away.I was able to notice him only when he reached outside.
I felt helpless at that time.My heart beat stopped.I went downstairs and searched for him but I din't even hear his voice.I enquired about him in the nearby places but I cant find him.Now I have kept my another cockatiel and the cage near the window so that he may see her.Its my last try but it seems he must have gone a long way.Any help..?
Snoopy_the cockatiel
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: My cockatiel flewn away through our kitchen door

Postby EleriDragonfly » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm sorry this has happened to you.
I'd suggest making some posters you can place around your area, or in any local shops. With a picture if you can, if people see them they'll hopefully keep an eye out for him.
Having your other Cockatiel visable to the outside is a good idea, hopefully if it chirps your lost bird may hear it and come back.
Was there a strong wind blowing when your Cockatiel flew away? If not he could still be in the area, but is probably scared and is hiding.
I wish I could help more, I hope you find him.
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Pied Whiteface Cockatiel
Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2
Flight: Yes

Postby Snoopy_the cockatiel » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:20 am

My first cockatiel is a girl.So she mostly remains silent.She seems normal but sometimes she used to stare around the room.Maybe she is searching for him.I kept all the windows and doors open with the cage being kept at the centre so that he can see her.Yesterday it was raining in the night.During that time also I have kept the windows open hoping he will be back.But I am not able to hear his sound at anytime.he must have been went a long way.I am really not sure whether he can survive or not after passing all the hurdles.I am just praying for his wellness and still hoping he will return home.This is very painful.I have risked both the birds life.
I have not even updated my new bird's count in the blog before that I lost him.
Snoopy_the cockatiel
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby EleriDragonfly » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:50 pm

If there was a storm he could have been blown far, but don't give up! Have you put any posters up? Perhaps you can put one up at your local vets? If your female Cockatiel is quiet, maybe look on youtube for some Cockatiel videos of them chirping. Maybe that would entice him to come back.
EleriDragonfly
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Pied Whiteface Cockatiel
Primrose Pied Cockatiel
Grey Budgie x2

Postby GlassOnion » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:15 am

Hi there,

You must actively search for your tiel, waiting for him to come home probably will not work because I bet he has flown far and is lost and scared. I would put up flyers everywhere and physically GO OUT searching for him.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks