Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

won't fly on his own

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

won't fly on his own

Postby wooton » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:42 pm

My military macaw simon was a rescue bird that was kept in a chicken cage with his mate breeding his entire life. After his mate died a rescue society was able to get ahold of him. When I first adopted simon u couldn't get near him. He would charge at you and bite as hard as he could. Over the past year he is great and iv started working with him how to fly. From my arm to the perch he can fly great but I want him to know he has the freedom to go were he wants in the house and to fly there. But he seems happy to just play in his cage or sit on his perch. He loves my blue and gold macaw milly and when I play with her he flaps his wings as hard as he can and just holds onto his perch. He will only fly to his perch and never anywere else and I just want to know how I can get him to start flying through the house. I do flight exercises with him from me to his perch and he seems to love these small flights but that is the only place he will fly to.
wooton
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw. Blue and gold macaw. Yellow naped amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: won't fly on his own

Postby Weka » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Aw, poor Simon! My up-until-recently cagebound bird's having a bit of trouble with the whole idea of flying, as well. There are a few threads on this topic somewhere, but someone else with more experience might chime in on the particulars of your situation.

Welcome,

Weka
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Providing a forever home for Skeeter, an 11-year-old male red bellied. :redbelly:
Weka
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-Bellied Parrot

Postby wooton » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Im attempting to mix up his training by moving his perch around and having him fly at different angles to his perch. I figure if I keep at it and build up his confidence he will start flying on his own. Iv tried clicker training and target training but after about 6 months at this no improvements. im not sure how much of this is a result of the last 7 years of his life of abuse and neglect. Simon has not bit me in a while but the only reason why is because im learning to read his body language a lot better and I make every movement slow and deliberate. Im hoping he will gain his confidence back and be a happier bird once he can fly where he wants whenever he wants. Any advice would be great. I just want him to be as free and happy as my blue and gold macaw milly. Not a perch potatoe that won't touch any toys given to him.
wooton
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw. Blue and gold macaw. Yellow naped amazon

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:15 pm

DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE UNLESS YOU'RE SURE HE WON'T FALL AND HURT HIMSELF: I usually launch my bird into the air to get her to wear herself out, I do this by letting her perch on my finger, throwing my hand into the air and then quickly bringing my hand back down, my bird always jumps off my finger and flies to either her cage or my shoulder. To be honest, unless I ask her to fly or she thinks she's in danger, she won't fly. Some birds are just less energetic than others and aren't interested in going anywhere.

In some ways, your bird only flying to you might be for the best, as it will make it less likely for the bird for attempt to leave your home or fly away if there is the chance.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks