Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does Sennie need to be clipped?

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Does Sennie need to be clipped?

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:02 pm

My Sennie was clipped but I want to let his flight feathers grow back. He's a now terrible flier on recall (he only flies about a foot to half a foot), which may be due to the fact that he only has three flight feathers left on one side, I wondered if he would be more balanced if I had the other side clipped and wait for them to all come back in. However, he's chewed his wings (he's had this habit for a while) and actually chewed off all growing flight feathers except the three on the one side. I wonder if he would be better having the three removed to have better balance, or keep the three and hope he lets his next set of flight feathers actually come in.

Personally I'm thinking I'm better off letting him keep the three and just being a bit off balance, but am happy to hear opinions, :).
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: Does Sennie need to be clipped?

Postby Harpmaker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:40 pm

While I have no experience with clipping wings, I have heard of clipping one side only to keep the parrot off-balance.

I'm sure this isn't what you want, but given that the Sennie has done at least part of it on his own, I would let his opinion be your guide. If he's coping with the lop-sidedness, leave it, and assume he can trim it himself. If he is surprised by not flying where he meant to, you might think about considering balancing him again. If he only flies a foot and a half, he's not even going to be much off-course, so I see no reason to clip him.

Good luck!
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks