Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

delight will not behave.

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: delight will not behave.

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:41 am

No,, my dear, a clipped bird behavior is not his 'normal' self. His normal self is flying around and staying with his flock. He is now not a normal bird, he is a handicapped one.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Tman007 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:12 pm

I have a GCC and I can tell you that being able to stand a few feet away from his perch and just hold my hand out and have him fly to me just because he wants to be with me is a great feeling. He was acting the way he was when he could fly is because you need to do more bonding with him. Right now he is acting the way he is, is because he has just given up. Try and listen to the people on this forum they know what they are talking about. I have been on here for a short time and have learned many thing from them. You might want to just sit back and read as many of thee old post as you can they will help you. Good luck with your little friend. :gcc: :jenday:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby cml » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:09 am

GMV, would you care to read this article written by Michael? And look at the video embedded?

http://trainedparrot.com/clipping

I will not comment (much) on you clipping delight, other than to say that I hope, really hope, that you will reconsider in the future and really think through what you've put your bird through.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby shiraartain » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Fajr is clipped (from the breeder), but he can fly. There are times when this becomes an annoyance-like when he comes to my room and decides to fly onto the hanger at the back of my door and poop all over my clothes while ignoring my attempts to coax him down :cry: Also when he comes and tries to steal food off of my plate that isn't good for him while ignoring his own food and I have to stop eating and distract him with something.

but in the end, Fajr is a member of my family and I'm looking forward to the day his clipped feathers fall out and are replaced so he can fly with more grace and ease. He flies to the front door when the doorbell rings to greet my Dad, flies after us if we leave him alone for two minutes to go grab something, flies away from us when we want to give him scritches and he just wants to go to his stand and eat.

There was one case where he flew down from his perch on the curtain rod to attract my attention to a spider that was just a few inches away from my arm.

It's just a nice feeling to know that Fajr comes to me and cuddles with me by choice and to know that he will return to me of his own will. I urge you to rethink this decision and consider letting your bird fly again.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks