Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor free flight

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Outdoor free flight

Postby AnimalAffinity » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:45 am

I have seen many parrots flying outside and then recalling, I have a few budgies and am planning on getting an indian ringneck and I was wondering if this was possible. I know it's dangerous , I just think it would be so much fun for them.
Last edited by AnimalAffinity on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, a cockatiel, and an indian ringneck parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Outddoor free flight

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:50 am

I don't agree with it. Too risky - even professional trainers lose a lot of birds doing this (and don't even try it with budgies, they will never come back and will, most likely, die out there). These are all unmated birds and it's just a matter of time that the bird decides it's time to go out looking for a mate. The need to procreate is the strongest force in nature....
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tman007 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Nope not a good idea. Go on you tube and you will see how many people are crying because of their parrots have flown away. And a lot of these parrots they have had for years. You are going to fast thinking you can take them out that way. You have years of working with them before they are even ready to try something like that. ( and really they never should).
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Outside is a wonderful place for a bird to be, of that there is no doubt. but if you wish to keep yours then only take them out in a cage or in a harness. Bird bred and raised in captivity do not have the knowledge to survive in the wild for any length of time, as a general rule. So if you lose your bird from free flying it and it is not recovered or taken in by someone then you may as well just shoot it as it is a kinder fate than is starvation or dying of thirst. I know that is harsh and it is meant to be, I really want you to consider the consequences of your choices concerning your birds.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby marie83 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Nope, too much of a risk in my opinion, the biggest risk is not only losing the bird but also pet parrots cannot adapt to survive in the wild, they don't know about predators, they don't know how to find food and water so they would be unlikely to survive for long. Even if they do manage to find food and water and avoid predators the whole experience would be incredibly stressful for them. Even Michael the owner of this blog lost one of his and you can see from his videos how good at training them he is. Michael was really really lucky to get Truman back, even when people find other peoples pets they don't tend to put much effort into finding the owners and either keep them or give them away.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:59 am

Actually, Michael lost both birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby AnimalAffinity » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:13 pm

I know its dangerous I just want to take training to a new level I know I'm capable and my future irn would undergo immense amounts of training, just wondering if it's something possible.
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Re: Outdoor free flight

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:19 am

Bad idea and very poor logic. It is not about what you are capable of, it is about the bird and its welfare. Not good, not good at all. You are actually willing to freely raise and train a bird that you say you love and then knowingly send it to its death for a thrill. Not good.

Just so you know, that is exactly how I got my first bird. I live out in the country on 6 acres of land and it takes me 20 minutes to get to town. The original owners were poor bird keepers and my bird had horrible living conditions, but they let her out to fly and when she came here she only had a few hours left to live due to the temperatures at that time of year, so I took her in.
I am a hunter and I kill for food and yet I respect these birds life more than that. You really need to rethink this. Life is so much more precious and valuable then this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby marie83 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:34 am

Sorry I do agree with wolf- it is about the birds welfare. By all means if you want to do something dangerous then go for it but please don't involve an innocent animal who's survival, health and stress levels depend on you. Maybe hire a large hall, old secured warehouse, school gym or something for longer distance recalls that you can't do at home.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby AnimalAffinity » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 am

Please don't bite my head of I'm here asking to see up opinions I see it's not worth it, and I love the gym idea. I do love my birds.
AnimalAffinity
Cockatiel

Next

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks