Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Outdoor recall

Postby Erithacus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:47 am

@ Wolf. Sorry, I have not logged in here for ages.

This is the latest video of Kilaya in flight.

Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:07 am

WOW !! That was fantastic! Great work for both of you. Love that. Also I am glad that you are back, thank you, your videos were sometimes the high point in my day.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:28 am

:D She was certainly having a good time flying around! But, aren't you worried the leash might get caught somewhere?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erithacus » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:12 pm

I have been working hard on recall training for months. At one point I got really frustrated because he wasn't responding at all. I stopped for a while, then I bought a portable perch. He began to respond to recall training again with that portable perch. I think he liked that portable perch. Then I trained him to fly to the goal post and used that as taking off platform. I dont need to use the portable perch anymore. The flight started off in straightline from the goal post direct to me. Later on, he decided to make a big circle and sometimes flew a few circles like in the video. It took me a few of these training sessions before I dared to shoot the video to make sure that he would come back to me after his rounds. There are trees around the field so I use 60 ft max line that will prevent him from reaching to the trees.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:21 pm

Again I want to thank you for sharing this with us. I find it simply amazing and it is just so wonderful to see your bird enjoying his time flying. It makes me feel good to be able to see this happening and give me encouragement to learn and to teach my own birds so that they too can be able to have this back in their lives. Thank you so very much.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:08 am

I can't get my green cheek to fly outdoor. This is the best I can do with my green cheek.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Erithacus » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:09 am

Wolf wrote:Again I want to thank you for sharing this with us. I find it simply amazing and it is just so wonderful to see your bird enjoying his time flying. It makes me feel good to be able to see this happening and give me encouragement to learn and to teach my own birds so that they too can be able to have this back in their lives. Thank you so very much.

You are welcome.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:14 am

Thank you! Your timing is impeccable as I have done nothing but answer bird questions all morning and this video was the perfect thing for a pick me up.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:41 pm

Today's video.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:15 am

this one must have been an interesting one to train her to do what with you being up high instead of on the ground. Did you enlist some help with it the first few times or what?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks