Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Outdoor recall

Postby Wolf » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:01 am

Truthfully, it scares the hell out of me, but they appear to be doing very well with it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Erithacus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:39 am

My 3rd session.

Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:48 am

I mostly watch your videos without the speaker turned on, this is due to what is going on at the time that I usually watch them. I noticed that you are using a whistle with your birds. Do you use the same whistle for both of them or do you use different whistles for each bird, I am not speaking of the physical whistle but the sound of it?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:46 pm

Sounds like the same whistle to me...

Honestly? It makes me nervous just watching the videos. I keep on looking up at the sky to make sure there is no predator...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erithacus » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:31 pm

I usually take them out in their harnesses. I would only do short free flight when I had the luxury of time meaning that I had the time to wait if they flew up to a tree. From my observation, my friends' conures won't fly away during free fly session. At the worst, one or two would end up in a tree. They just had to wait till the birds were satisfied playing in the tree before coming back to them. Some birds are easy to recall back. Some are very stubborn.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Time will tell and I hope that you are right. You are more experienced with this than I am and have access to others that also know more about it than I do. I may tell you that it scares me, but I am not trying to change what you are doing, I am trying to learn more about it even though I am apprehensive about it. Thanks for being patient with me, as if it were not enough to be patient with the birds.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:39 am

I use the same whistle to train my birds. Whistle is important for free fly training. Assuming the bird gets lost, it is able to track you by hearing the whistle. Whether the bird decides to fly back to you, that is another story. :D In most cases the birds would come back.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:55 am

Yes, but it's the percentage left off in the 'most cases' qualification that scares the crap out of me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erithacus » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:58 pm

If the bird was outdoor trained, the chances of the bird coming back to you is very high.
Last year I attended a group's free flight session in the evening. One of the guys' Rainbow Lory decided to spend the night in a tree. The owner had no choice but to come back the next morning to retrieve him. My fiend's conure spent 2 hours in the tree before coming back to him. The rest of the birds were very well behaved except these 2.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:58 pm

Thank you, that is very interesting.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie