Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Outdoor recall

Postby galeriagila » Fri May 13, 2016 8:23 pm

When we were still out West, the dry treeless desert environment helped me be confident about taking the Rickeybird outside, but...
Here in the verdant, tree-rich "Forest City" of Cleveland... with
a nearby nesting American Kestrel pair and an occasional Bald Eagle sighting... nope!
But I love to watch y'all's videos!
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Erithacus » Fri May 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Pajarita wrote:Are these all different birds or the same one? It's hard to tell because they are all cinnamons...

It's the same one. I don't take more than 2 birds go hiking. Not easy to keep the leashes not to get tangled.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Erithacus » Fri May 13, 2016 11:30 pm

galeriagila wrote:When we were still out West, the dry treeless desert environment helped me be confident about taking the Rickeybird outside, but...
Here in the verdant, tree-rich "Forest City" of Cleveland... with
a nearby nesting American Kestrel pair and an occasional Bald Eagle sighting... nope!
But I love to watch y'all's videos!

Our eagles are fish eating eagles. Sightings are quite rare in my area. They are found mainly at sea sides.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Wolf » Sat May 14, 2016 2:00 am

There are some eagles and such here that do eat fish at least part of the time but most of them here will eat mice, rabbits other birds, the neighbors cat or small dog or just about any other animal that they can carry off after the initial strike. Here in the area that I live in they have spent at least 20 years reintroducing the Peregrine falcon back into the wild bird population. There is no parrot alive that can fly faster or able to out maneuver this bird of prey, making outside parrots at huge risk and this alone accounts for my aversion to free flying any of my birds and makes me have to be very aware of what else in in the skies when I do take them outside.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:54 am

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks