Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Outdoor recall

Postby Erithacus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:11 am

This is the 2nd longest distance about 300ft I flew Cocoa. She had no problem to "fly there".
I stopped flying her at this distance ever since she got chased by crow.

Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:20 am

What caused Cocoa's death?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erithacus » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Vet A suspected fungal infection. Vet B said not fungal infection. Test result came out negative. I don't know what was the cause.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:43 am

Well, it's easy to tell because a fungal infection causes a very slow and gradual decline before death. And it's also easy to tell from a necropsy...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Lizz » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:38 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Cocoa. I enjoyed watching her videos.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Erithacus » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:54 am

My cockatiel.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:15 am

Ay, ay, ay, flying a tiel with a loose and hanging leash... way too high a risk, my dear! Not only of losing her but also of her getting hurt. Please reconsider.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:22 pm

I can't be certain but it looks like there may be an extension attached to the end of the leash. It is most definitely a source of concern.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:22 pm

Friends, I have been flying my cockatiels for 4 years using this way, same method as I was flying Cocoa. I have never lost a bird before nor my birds get hurt. And please come over here to see how I attach the harness to a flightline. You will know how safe it is. I think that's it. I am not going to share any more videos here. Bye.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:13 am

Please reconsider, I really enjoy watching your videos and the comments that are bothering you are simply motivated by to persons concern for the welfare of your birds, they are not meant to criticize you but to let you know how concerned we are for your birds. There are things that don't show up readily on the videos and this may be the cause of the concern. I had to go back and start and stop this last video to be able to see that it appeared that you had a lighter weight line attached to the end of the leash but still could not see the attached line itself.
We are, indeed, a strange breed of people on this forum as we care about your birds the same as we care about our own birds. We know about birds, but we are still learning about you and how you work with your birds and this takes time. Perhaps you could present a video of how you attach the flight line to the harness and clear up the issue. The reason that I went over this last video as detailed as I did was that although I could not see the flight line, I did notice that the end of the leash was moving just a little bit differently than it would have if there was no line attached to it.
Again we all love watching the videos, but no one wants you to face the heartache of losing a bird due to a mistake that could be easily prevented as we know how that feels. We really do care about your birds and value you for your knowledge as well as for being a new friend that has some of the same passions as we do.
Well I have presented my case to you and hope that you will reconsider your decision, but you will do as you see fit but I just wanted you to know how much we appreciated you and your birds as well as the videos. Thanks.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks