Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Outdoor recall

Postby Erithacus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:12 pm

These are what I was told.

This guy who imports young parrots from Holland. He would spend some time with the parrots before selling them to his clients. He chose the one that come to him on cue when called. He learned this trait from the Taiwanese free fly groups. Chosing the species is also important. Best parrots to free fly are macaws, cockatoos, ekkies and conures. We don't have many choices of species here. The most popular free fly parrots are macaws and conures.

Others told me they hand fed their babies outside the house until they are fully fledged and at the same time recall trained their babies during feeding sessions. This is the best way to train them to free fly. They don't even use harness during the training.

I bought my grey at the age of 1 month as my breeder would not hand feed his babies beyond this age. I did not have the opportunity to choose the "best" and besides that I couldn't do the hand feeding outside my house as my neighbors' cats always hangout in my house compound.

In fact, I can now free fly my grey but I don't have the guts to do so. The pain of losing a grey is unbreable as I have lost one before. I had always wanted to free fly my green cheeks but none of them were interested to fly outside. :(
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:02 pm

I understand, I have not lost any of my birds and won't free fly any of them. I almost lost Kookooloo, my Grey, once and will not risk that again.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:14 am

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Erithacus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:17 am

Wolf wrote:I understand, I have not lost any of my birds and won't free fly any of them. I almost lost Kookooloo, my Grey, once and will not risk that again.

That is the risk of free flying.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:24 am

I agree that it is part of the risk of free flying, because I recovered my bird, some are not as fortunate and that is the real risk. At least that is how I think about it.
So was this last video a new years celebration?
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:17 am

I live in a Muslim country. The Muslims are celebrating their Ramadan festival while we enjoy the holidays.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby liz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:36 am

Wolf wrote:I understand, I have not lost any of my birds and won't free fly any of them. I almost lost Kookooloo, my Grey, once and will not risk that again.

Myrtle is an great flier but when the wind sucked her off my shoulder it was all she could do to keep herself right side up. When she was finally able to grab a tree twig she was so high that a guy in the neighborhood had to climb to get her. There are more problems out there beside preditors.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Erithacus » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:07 am

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:43 am

Thank you once again for sharing with us, I just love watching her flying in the park.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:03 pm

I found a new field to fly Kilaya. This field is much larger and I don't have to worry about Kilaya flying to the trees. The trees are out of reach.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks