Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Outdoor recall

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:15 pm

Where do u get the hoodies? I get them from Avian Fashions they have them for conures too.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Erithacus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:29 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:Where do u get the hoodies? I get them from Avian Fashions they have them for conures too.

A friend made for me.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Erithacus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 am

Zizi joins free flight. Finally, all my 4 conures have experienced free flight.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:27 am

So Zizi is much more cautious than the others? Or perhaps just still new enough that he/she is just a bit reluctant to give this a try? I am very interested in their different personality traits and how it affect them with the free flight or even harnessed flight. I am very fascinated with their intelligence and personalities, I am constantly watching my own birds to understand them better.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:01 pm

Pipi and Zizi, my oldest conures started to respond to outdoor recall this year. They are not as responsive as the 2 youngest on outdoor recall. After a few free flight sessions with the 2 youngest, I had enough courage to try the 2 oldest one by one. Zizi was a bit reluctant to come out of the cage probably it was the first time he got into that cage. I tested out 3 of them (in harness) a day before letting them to free fly. I wanted to know how Zizi responded with the other 2.

Zizi gave me a fright. He lost balance because Kilaya was trying to bite him when he flew to me. Zizi flew straight out off the field to the road. I thought he was gone. Fortunately for me, he made a turn and came back to me, landing on my head. That was his adventure on his 1st day of free flight.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:23 pm

I know that feeling, when you are watching them fly away and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Kookooloo did that to me once and although she did circle and came bach to the house she did not come to me she went to trees near the house, I really had a hard time in getting her back out of those trees before dark. I have not taken that chance since that time.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:50 am

Recall at a temple.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:05 am

Is this video of two different birds? I can't look at your GCC's and tell them apart, but I noticed a difference in their flight and their preferred landing styles. I was going to ask if this was with three of them as there is still some difference in the flight of two that like to land from below, but the difference there could be due to the distance flown. Either way they are doing really well. Thanks for this video.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:14 am

Only one which is Zico. I usually take my grey out. I rested her since she had gone hiking early in the morning.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Erithacus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:20 am

My teenage daughter doing outdoor recall for the 2nd time.

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks