Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Outdoor recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Outdoor recall

Postby Erithacus » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:01 pm

I am not sure about that. My friend's African Greys breed all year round. He has almost 20 babies now.

Yesterday, Zico took a different flight pattern from his usual routine. Zico and Eclipse were doing their usual flight routine at the playground. Out of sudden, Zico took a leap up and flew out of sight into the nearby trees. I couldn't see him but I heard his calling. I quickly put Eclipse back in the cage and look for Zico frantically. I heard him flying from tree to tree based on his calls. After a few minutes he returned, landing in front of me on the monkey bars. Probably, he was trying to show me this is what free flight is all about. He really freaked me out.

I called up a few friends who have/ had free flying green cheeks. They said it is normal for their green cheeeks to do what Zico was doing yesterday. For the time being, they will be back on their leashes. I think I am not born for free flying birds even though I have been dying to see my birds to do what Zico could do yesterday.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:59 am

Wow, that is not really good for a Grey to breed all year long. Not that I have very much experience on breeding them, but I am gradually learning more about this subject and since I have 5 different species of parrots to research all about in addition to researching to find answers for other peoples question if I don't know the answer, it is a slow process. However, I have learned that Greys are short day breeders and that means that they have two breeding season normally in their natural habitat. I wonder if they are actually breeding all year or if they are just breeding in the spring and fall and giving the impression that it is all year long. I don't know and will have to go with what you tell me, you are there and would know much better than I would, but my mind just runs on with questions at times. Never really know when it is going to start asking questions or about what until it happens, it gets a bit unruly at times.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:55 am

Any and all birds can be made to breed all year round. All you have to do is give them a rich diet and days of the right duration and they will continue producing sexual hormones. Of course, this is something that never happens in nature because no bird can sustain the effort and depletion breeding means for years and years without becoming weak and/or sick. Please ask your friend to do more research about this because I am afraid that he is slowly killing his bird. My grays lay a two egg clutch every year with the exception of one hen in one year which had two clutches. I just got rid of my CAG eggs this morning because although she wasn't sitting on them all the time, she was still going into her 'nest' much too often for my taste. The TAG had abandoned her eggs almost immediately. They have both started losing feathers now which is perfectly timely.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erithacus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:26 am

Kind of difficult to talk to my friend because he is a breeder. He breeds for profits. The only time he stops breeding them is during a long festive holiday which is on Jan or Feb. From the postings I saw on his FB, he has babies all year round from many pairs, probably 8-10 pairs. I am not sure if he rest them in between.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:15 am

Well, I can only hope that he rests them in between clutches. But since he is in it for the money, even if he does, I am pretty sure that it is not a long enough of a rest. Most breeder birds are all used up in a matter of a few short years. Such a waste.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:13 am

Well, I don't mean to be rude to you or your friend but anybody who breeds birds for money does not rate very high in my estimation. I would also not recommend his birds because the babies could not possibly be strong or healthy if the parents are half-depleted...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erithacus » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:28 am

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:06 am

Those were a bit different, but I liked them. Great way for the birds as well as the human to get time outside together and I love how in includes the birds in the humans daily activities. Thanks.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Thu May 12, 2016 2:28 am

Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 13, 2016 10:23 am

Are these all different birds or the same one? It's hard to tell because they are all cinnamons...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks