Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

one eye amazon parrot

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

one eye amazon parrot

Postby wooton » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:57 pm

I recently adopted a yellow naped amazon parrot named pete. He is a wild caught amazon about 35-40 years old. He is blind in one eye but that doesn't stop him trying to fly with my macaws in the aviary. But it always ends in a crash. I don't know if I can train him to fly normal with his condition or clip his wings. I hate this prospect because he clearly loves to fly and all my birds are flighted. Just hoping someone has more experience with half blind birds flying then me.
wooton
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw. Blue and gold macaw. Yellow naped amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: one eye amazon parrot

Postby Wolf » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:13 pm

I don't have any experience with this, but I have a thought that may be useful or not. Harness train him and fly him on that as you can control the direction of the flight as well as the size of the circle that he flies in and you can do it in an area that is free of obstructions, thereby providing as safe of an environment as possible for him to fly in.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: one eye amazon parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:26 am

He will be fine, it will just take him a bit longer than a two-eyed bird to learn the lay of the room -only thing is, you can't go around changing things up high where he will perch all the time.

I've had three birds with only one eye in the past and have one right now and they all did fine. Just never approach him from his blind side without calling out to him first so he can turn his head and see you coming and, if he has a cage where he sleeps, place his roosting perch in such a way that his blind eye is on the wall side of it, otherwise, he will not be able to rest properly.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks