Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flight Harness Training Parrot

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Flight Harness Training Parrot

Postby marie83 » Wed May 29, 2013 6:50 pm

JaydeParrot wrote:Help!=: Unexplained bald patches!

A month ago, a friend mentioned that my less tame :senegal: Hide had bald patches under his wings, he doesn't like flying much so I couldn't see under the wings- I put it down to molting.

However, today I was watching my much more tame :senegal: Cain flap her wings and noticed that she has big bald patches under her wings (armpits), she isn't happy about having her wings held but I could towel her and take a picture if anyone wants to have a look.

I know this isn't primarily about flight training but I haven't got any responces from the other forums...

Does anyone know if this is normal? Both senegals seem fine but I worry why they've got bald spots, they never have pellets, they have about 40-ish% seed and 60-ish% chopped up washed fresh fruit and vegetables diet. They don't eat anything else other than that, and they have a bedroom basically to themselves so I doubt it's got anything to do with stress.

Should I go to the vets? I worry about infections/viruses from the vets but I also worry why their 'armpit' feathers are missing...

I really don't have time to write a detailed reply but your best bet is to see an avian vet. It's really really long but this thread regarding my two birds may also help you decide if there are any symptoms that you may not have picked up on and also a ton of advice from other members, a few pictures and a medical report (tests done + results) towards the end. Birds shouldn't have bald spots, even if they are moulting pretty heavily. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7977
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby JaydeParrot » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:49 am

I've managed to harness train my Sennie and take him outside twice now, however he seems much more interested in his harness than anything else.

He's now chewed it to the point that he needs a replacement (it's still usable but in very poor condition).

Yesterday I sat outside on the grass with him on my lap, he chewed the harness so much that he rolled off my lap landed on the soft grass and continued to lie on his back and chew. I picked him up and he just lay on his back in my hands and continued to chew. He doesn't exactly seem unhappy he just seems fixated, I wouldn't mind this but I don't want to have to buy a new harness every few weeks. Any ideas on how to stop him chewing?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:46 pm

First of all, I don't think a Senegal Parrot can really destroy the aviator harness. They may pull some threads and make it look bad but to actually compromise the security of it would take years I think. I had mine last over 4 years until it was stolen but it could have lasted that many more with frequent use and occasional chewing.

As for solving the behavior problem there are a few things.

1) Make sure you've actually properly trained the harness. You most likely cut corners and stuck it on a trusting bird without building up sufficient training. When you use the training method and giving treats for wearing it for progressively longer durations, the bird learns to wait patiently for removal or treat. This does not eliminate all chewing always but it definitely reduces the frantic "get me out" type of chewing because of trust.

2) If you won't take time to do it through positive reinforcement, a shortcut I've discovered is to towel the bird while wearing the harness (pending the bird is ok with toweling, if it's not then you shouldn't even be doing harness stuff at all with that little trust). This reduces the sensation of the harness as the towel is more prominent. Also the bird is grabbed and can't chew/fidget. This is a way to increase duration of harness wearing to build habit. Progressively the towel can be used less or replaced by a grab. Take the bird to places where its mind is occupied on the surroundings to distract from chewing.

Keep in mind that a little chewing may persist forever but shouldn't be an issue.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:05 pm

I brought a new aviator harness for my bird today and found that the wrist loop (the loop at the end of the black bungee cord) was held closed/in a loop by a tied knot rather than a black metal clip, do you think this sounds right? I'm personally put off and am planning to ask for my money back as I think placing my bird's safety with a tied knot rather than a metal clip is utter madness.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 pm

JaydeParrot wrote:I brought a new aviator harness for my bird today and found that the wrist loop (the loop at the end of the black bungee cord) was held closed/in a loop by a tied knot rather than a black metal clip, do you think this sounds right? I'm personally put off and am planning to ask for my money back as I think placing my bird's safety with a tied knot rather than a metal clip is utter madness.

No, this is not right! Sounds like you got a defective one. What you need to do is contact the manufacturer, send a picture, and you should be eligible for a free replacement immediately. The Parrot University takes quality issues very seriously and would want to hear about it so that someone else does not receive the same defect. There's a card in the package with the warranty information and how to contact.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed May 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Michael wrote:
JaydeParrot wrote:I brought a new aviator harness for my bird today and found that the wrist loop (the loop at the end of the black bungee cord) was held closed/in a loop by a tied knot rather than a black metal clip, do you think this sounds right? I'm personally put off and am planning to ask for my money back as I think placing my bird's safety with a tied knot rather than a metal clip is utter madness.

No, this is not right! Sounds like you got a defective one. What you need to do is contact the manufacturer, send a picture, and you should be eligible for a free replacement immediately. The Parrot University takes quality issues very seriously and would want to hear about it so that someone else does not receive the same defect. There's a card in the package with the warranty information and how to contact.

Thanks for the reply, I contacted the seller and got a free replacement. Just saw your video on youtube, glad to hear you got Truman back, :D.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Postby JaydeParrot » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:22 am

[quote="Michael"]First of all, I don't think a Senegal Parrot can really destroy the aviator harness. They may pull some threads and make it look bad but to actually compromise the security of it would take years I think. I had mine last over 4 years until it was stolen but it could have lasted that many more with frequent use and occasional chewing.

About a month ago I tried to put Cain's oldest harness on and realised she'd ripped up the neck part on the harness to the point where it no longer properly connects to the rest of the harness, she only ever touched them when she was wearing them and she'd only had the harness for a year.

I'll try to add a pic later on, just wanted to say that it's possible for a Senegal Parrot to destroy the harness, :).
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:07 am

I don't think that there is much other than steel that a determined Senegal cannot destroy.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:33 am

Hi, was wondering if Michael or anyone else who has used different colour aviator harnesses could answer this question:

My Sennie Cain has happily chewed her way through two harnesses, the first was red and the second is black. She seemed much less bothered by the black one than the red (she destroyed the red in months, the black one after the same amount of months is still going, it's just a bit tatty).

She isn't chewing because she's upset or angry, it more to do with being bored after 45 mins or more of shoulder riding or because she's hungry/thirsty.

I was thinking of buying a new harness, in the UK the black harnesses are way cheaper than the green, but I was thinking of buying a more expensive green harness in the hopes that a harness similar to Cain's feather colour will confuse/put Cain off chewing as she'll have trouble differentiating the difference between her feathers and the harness.

I noticed that Kili has had red, black and green harnesses on in her youtube videos, I was wondering if the colour had made any difference to the amount she chewed and whether there's much point in me paying more for a green harness/ if I should just stick with the cheaper black harness?

Thanks, :).
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Postby Pinchinelle » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Hello,
Michael, thank your for your detailed advice on harness training. I am training my green cheeck conure and reached the step where she puts voluntarily her head through the collar loop of the harness for a treat. However I am stuck here, because as soon as she grabs the treat, she quickly steps backwards and pulls her head out of the harness to eat the treat. Then when she's done eating, she comes back and puts her head through the collar again to get another treat. I was wondering if I should let her do that, or do something differently? Any advice on the next step would be appreciated.
Thank you
Pinchinelle
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: I have a rescued rook and a rescued jackdaw. I would like to get a parrot, probably an eclectus or a grey

PreviousNext

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks