Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flight Harness Training Parrot

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Flight Harness Training Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:51 pm

I think that is a good idea, keep us informed of your progress, please. This is an area that many of us need all the help and encouragement we can get.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pinchinelle » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:48 pm

I will, definitely!

By the way I already have a quick update: about an hour ago I noticed that Taz was getting very calm and quiet and snuggly. So I decided to take advantage of that and do one last trial at training with the food bowl method (before changing methods and starting again from scratch with a clicker and single seeds given with my fingers).

So there she was on the perch. When I presented the harness and uncovered the seed bowl, she immediately put her head through the harness collar, stayed calm, started eating the seeds, and did NOT pull her head back and did NOT step backwards. So I went ahead and slowly put the harness over one wing, then the second, then tightened it. During all the process she stayed still and calm and kept eating. When I was done putting the harness on her, I let her eat as many seeds as she wanted for about five minutes, then praised her and removed the harness and covered the seed bowl.

I was amazed that she let me put it on her all the way without fuss this time. This means that choosing the right time of the day for harness training is important, since her being calm is apparently very helpful.

Now, the question is, should I keep doing it this way? Or should I still start from scratch again and give up the seed bowl ? I'll be glad to read your opinions.

Thanks!
Pinchinelle
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: I have a rescued rook and a rescued jackdaw. I would like to get a parrot, probably an eclectus or a grey

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:03 pm

I would continue the way that you are for at least a week and then start weaning her off of the food bowl. Give her time to get used to what you are doing and to doing something while wearing the harness. You should not fix what is not broken.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pinchinelle » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:46 am

Okay, I will do that. Thanks so much!
Pinchinelle
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: I have a rescued rook and a rescued jackdaw. I would like to get a parrot, probably an eclectus or a grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:12 pm

Well, if the handing over a seed at a time method doesn't work, continue using this one but, personally, I don't like to give them so many seeds in the middle of the day (they can fill their entire crop in a few minutes) and the abundance of the reward might end up backfiring at a later time because a high value item loses its 'high' value when it becomes common place...it's the scarcity of it that keeps the value high.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pinchinelle » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Thank you Pajarita. That definitely makes sense. I will have to try a different method anyway, because now she is again pulling her head out of the collar right after grabbing a seed from the bowl.
Pinchinelle
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:30 pm

Try changing the time that you work on harness training to before she eats as she will be hungrier at these times. Or you could remove any food in her cage for a couple of hours before you harness train.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pinchinelle » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:06 am

Okay, I will try
Pinchinelle
Parrotlet

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks