Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Return to Perch Flights

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Return to Perch Flights

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 pm

As you may know I've been having some trouble with Kili being too sticky. She'll come on the recall and then will dig in and not want to go back to her perch. I understand that returning to perch isn't rewarding and she doesn't see it as an opportunity for another recall and treat. This is why I've been introducing a variable frequency of reinforcement schedule that rewards the parrot at either the point of recall or the point of return to perch.

Sometimes I give her a treat for flying to me, sometimes a treat for going back to perch, sometimes no treat at all, and sometimes a treat for both! Here's a video of a training session I did to work on this and there are some bonus tricks in there for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--2I9nyziM8
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Return to Perch Flights

Postby greatgriffin » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:29 am

I introduced a cue word "go" to command flight to perch. When I say go, I point the bird with my hand towards the perch and give her a slight push. She loses grip and flies to the perch.
This behavior can also be rewarded, if you first stick a treat on the perch and then send the bird there, it is going to find the treat and hence be rewarded.
I haven't done this though, the Go command seems to work most of the time.
Of course the next question is for how long the bird is going to stay on the perch. :)
greatgriffin
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Australian king parrot (F, 2006)

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks