Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness Discussion

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: Harness Discussion

Postby tim west » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:45 am

Been trying to get the harness on my Amazon for 2 months now, he will put his head through for a treat and has done since day one, but pulls his head back out straight away. is there any other ways of getting it on, have watched the videos but Bill is a parrot that just sits and let you pull him about. He will fly to me , sit on my shoulder and be scratched etc but anymore would be pushing it. Im more concerned that if i get it on i wont get it off!
tim west
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby zazanomore » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:36 pm

I'm in the same boat Tim. He isn't afraid of the harness, and he'll let it touch his face, but that's as far as we've gotten in the past 2 weeks.

I kind of wish Einstein was bigger, because it sure is difficult trying to manipulate such a small harness.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:56 am

Feed 2 treats with the head in the harness. Let him eat the first treat only while his head is in the loop. Then immediately give a second treat. Start increasing the duration between the first and second treat so that he learns to wait with his head in the loop.

Don't forget to do basic taming for handling as discussed in other topics and blog posts. You really want to be working with a very tame parrot that lets you touch it anywhere and open its wings.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:50 am

I've been harness training my Yellow-Sided for the past 2 months or so, but we're slightly stuck.
If we're in the shower, he'll quite happily put his head in and open his wings to have it on, and once we're out of the shower he's happy to keep it on. He's started chewing on it a little, but I think that just cause it's there and something to chew/suck on. He loves chewing/sucking on our collars so I'd say he just enjoys sucking on the fabric.
See the problem is if you have the harness with you when he's on you, he's terrified of it. I don't understand why he's so scared of it when he's so happy for it to do anything to him when he's in the shower. Maybe it's the hot pink colour, though I think that looks lovely with his bright colours.
Any ideas?? Oh, it's a Feather Tether harness if it matters?
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot