Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harness Discussion

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Harness Discussion

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:54 am

So if you would like to discuss the Harness Training Article or have any questions, please post them here and not on the main thread because I want to keep future update in sequence without it getting broken up or side tracked.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Harness Discussion

Postby xify28 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:41 am

hi,
does anyone have an idea on making my own flight harness for my 3 month old peach faced lovebird. finding a small harness for him is very difficult. so im gunna try to make my own harness. pls help me. i wanna take lulu :swaying: outside. thanx in advance
xify28
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebirds
Zebra finches
Budgies

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:06 am

They make one small enough, I wouldn't try to make one. Three are way too many connections to make and the prefabbed ones really are that much better. Making a big harness may be plausible but a small one no way! I just looked it up and realized that they come sized as small as for a green cheek conure but not lovebird:

http://www.theparrotuniversity.com/aviator_harness.php

Sorry. I guess harness flying isn't really available for such a small bird. The problem is that the connections can only get so small. Even the X-Small harness looks disproportionately oversized on Kili. It looks like an adult seatbelt on a small child. When you look at a large parrot in a harness, you can see a length of strap between connections. On Kili, the harness tightens down practically to the point where the connections are practically together with barely any strap between them. Seeing the design of this harness and others, it seems quite unlikely you can make one yourself. I do know one person that makes a special harness for budgies but they are a specialty item so I'm not sure how effective it would be for parrot flight.
Michael
Macaw

Postby xify28 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:20 am

thanks.
i think ill get a flight suit instead but is it ok to take a bird outside in a flight suit.
what do you think
xify28
Parrotlet

Zebra finches
Budgies

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:07 am

I dunno if it's a good idea taking a bird that size outside at all. If you just want the bird to get air, take it outside in a cage with tight bar spacing. For flying outside, I really don't know. Any predator can grab a bird that size easily.
Michael
Macaw

Postby xify28 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 am

i live in a country called maldives. and there are no predetory birds in here. and after seeing people freefly their birds i feel tempted to do it with my :swaying:
but if i take it out i may lose it. its scary
xify28
Parrotlet

Zebra finches
Budgies

Postby Suzzique » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:01 pm

It takes lots of experence and work to be able to free fly a bird outside. Unless you know someone who does this I personally wouldn't try it.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby TheNzJessie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:26 am

if you want your lovebird to get some fresh air you could set up a small flight aviary outside and out him/her out there during the day
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:52 am

how safe is the harness? is there ANY chance of your parrot or anyones parrot being able to get out? like a dog collar.... i want to buy one for my lorikeet for later on hes far to young right now but want to know the saftey hazards and if there is any chance of them 'escaping' the harness
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:42 am

Yes, there is a very small chance that it could break or get out. This is why there is no substitute for good training. This is why I am actively training and preparing Kili for outdoor freeflight. Even though I probably will never do it with her, the practice will prepare her to be recalled back to me if she ever were to get off.
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks