Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Out of sight recall

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Out of sight recall

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:56 pm

I started teaching Kili to recall to me if I call her and she cannot see me like if I stand around a corner or behind an object. However, results have been unreliable and she will often land somewhere else. It seems that when I call her she'll take flight but then she'll land the first available perch. How can I improve her skills for this besides just repetition? How can I improve her accuracy and convey the urgency of coming on call and only to me?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Out of sight recall

Postby Mona » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi Michael:

You really have done very well with Kili. Personally, I think time is your best asset. I think Kili just needs more time to get comfortable with flight. There will be a point in time when she figures out that she can fly where she wants. At that point, you can learn more about what works as a reinforcer.

One tactic that I have used for my birds is to have a favorite, comfortable perch. You can move that perch around. Reinforce the bird for flying to that perch until they are consistent with that and then you can move that perch in different places. They can become more focused on landing on that perch. We do that in the fly building. The birds all have their favorite perches and tend to target to those perches.

I'd be interested in hearing about what works for you Michael. As you are learning, flight training is always a process and never a destination!

Thanks

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Re: Out of sight recall

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Yeah, 95% of Kili's flying is between cage, training perch, and me. She barely ever lands any place else. And if I send her flying she almost always finds one of those to land on.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks