Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My parrots regularly fly towards strangers

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: My parrots regularly fly towards strangers

Postby Darko » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:13 pm

My partner and his opaline lovebird. And further down below my lovebirds....
Attachments
IMG_1750.JPG
Last edited by Darko on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darko
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: peach faced lovebird
Flight: Yes

Postby Darko » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 am

Groom and Bebasti since they were babies and they were ready to learn how to eat solid food (leave formula I was giving them behind) They learn how to eat; grass seeds, flowers, parrot food seeds, fruit, vegetables and everything what was in their environment. Because I was giving them all of that and they were exposed to the outside world. So, in the same time they were learning how to fly and how to drop bird formula, I was taking them outside. I know that it's impossible for them survive without me long term and that It would be incredible hard for them to survive in the wild for long, but I'm convinced that they would last longer than the average parrot because they know the aria. My parrots know where is the river (where they drink and like to take baths)They would be able to eat a little bit of this and that, until they befriend someone who look like me or if they were lucky and I manage to find them before sparrow hawk does.
Attachments
IMG_1748.JPG
IMG_1748.JPG (49.13 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1747.JPG (47.2 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
IMG_0867.JPG
IMG_0867.JPG (88.14 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG (39.22 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
Darko
Lovebird

Postby Darko » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:49 am

How do you explain this? Amazon parrots manage to escape and breed in Germany plus they survive the winter... Now there are more than 50 breeding pairs in Germany. And Lovebirds done the same thing in Scotland and winter is freezing there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-PT1stR6zvU
Darko
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:19 am

Parrots are very smart and resourceful birds but I am not sure they actually survived as a colony because, although there are references to these birds in 2014 and 2015, I haven't seen anything later than that. Animals can survive under extreme weather conditions but it doesn't last - they get weaker and weaker until they die way before their time. Double-yellow heads evolved to live in Central America, where there is no real cold so although they might be able to survive and even breed for a year or two in a place like Germany, they might not really make in the long run... Now, lovebirds in France and IRNs in Spain and London is a different story because the low temperatures there are not that low and they don't last...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:01 pm

Try using a harness it's much safer. Or just get an aviary.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:11 pm

I don't think they make safe harnesses for lovies, Melissa. They are way too small...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:29 pm

Pajarita wrote:I don't think they make safe harnesses for lovies, Melissa. They are way too small...

My friend makes Leathers4Feathers harnesses she made some 4 her lovebirds n osld osment to customers
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:49 am

Well, I am sure your friend means well but, personally, I would not risk putting a harness on such a small bird - they are too flighty and too fragile... a hard pull and they can end up with a broken rib. I am all for harnesses on medium, large or extra large species but not for small ones. Much safer to let them fly around the house and then back into their flight cage... I never take risks with my animals -well, unless it's absolutely necessary.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks