Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Training birds out of cage

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Training birds out of cage

Postby Mirette Le Fay » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Hi! I have a yellow Cockatiel with 3 months (he come to our home one month ago) and since then he has learn extremely fast to eat and come to my hand. He doesn't like to be petted yet, but, if I gave him food, he partially allows it. I wanted him to be out of cage but I have afraid that he flies away. We thought about cliping his wings but my mother doesn't like the idea at all. :? I would apreciate if you have you some tricks/advices that would help me. The problem isn't taking him out of cage, since when I play with him he uses to climb my arm and try to go out of the cage, the problem is when he is out. :(
There was one time when he fled away from the cage and I was really scared. He flys really high! I waited when he was tired and picked him kindly against my chest and put him back on the cage. I tought he would scream and bite me but he just stayed quiet.
I don't whant him to became scared of me since "out of cage" is supossed to be enjoyable.
:cockatiel: Sorry if my english is not the best (since I'm not a native english speaker). :cockatiel:
Mirette Le Fay
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Training birds out of cage

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: Training birds out of cage

Postby Kim S » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:23 am

Your English might be a bit shaky, but understandable. Where are you from?

If your bird is tame and will sit on your hand without being afraid of you it is ok to take it out of the cage. Be sure all the windows and doors are closed so he cant go outside! Make sure you have curtains or something block the windows so he wont think he can fly through and fly against the window.
If you can keep doors to other rooms closed as well it is easier to keep an eye on him. Mostly they fly a few rounds and will land on their cage, or you! The first few times there is a chance he will crash into something, but dont worry, he is learning how to fly properly.

PLease dont clip his wings. He will be much happier when he can fly!
If you bond with him he will come sit with you.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks