Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How I Untrained Flying Away From Being Grabbed

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Re: How I Untrained Flying Away From Being Grabbed

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:35 am

Pigeons are intelligent and can be trained. I'm not sure how exactly, but you can give these techniques a shot:

http://TrainedParrot.com/Taming

It works on all parrots and I would bet it would work on a pigeon as well. How successful and how long it would take is a whole different story.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Peacockjp » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:02 pm

Manziboy wrote:Manzi has never really had an issue with being put back in his cage. This year I noticed that he sometimes would run away from me when I told him he had to "go home." Because of that, I began putting treats in his cage to get him to "go home." That worked really well. Now I usually just tell him the command and stick a pine nut or something in his cage and he will go within a few seconds all by himself. Sometimes I am in a hurry and don't have time so I do just grab him and put him back really quickly, but since he is so receptive to treats, I do try to use that method as much as possible. I don't think larger birds are as flighty as smaller birds such as Kili. Manzi will become flighty if he is chewing on something he isn't supposed to have such as my keys. Then, if I catch him, he will immediately fly back to his cage or play stand.

I do have problems with him getting into trouble with chewing "off limit" items and am still not sure how to stop this behavior.

I need some positive reinforcement. Over and over through all of these posts - Everyone is constantly referring to "treats
- When using the word - TREAT----Would it be too much trouble - to actually say what the treat IS? For Instantly - "I gave my bird a treat - (pine nut)" That would be much appreciated.
Peacockjp
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Very young Female Senegal.
Flight: No

Postby cml » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 am

When using the word - TREAT----Would it be too much trouble - to actually say what the treat IS? For Instantly - "I gave my bird a treat - (pine nut)" That would be much appreciated.

Why?

Everyone's birds get different treats and have their own favorites ^^.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby liz » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:52 am

I remember a documentary on National Geographic. It was about an Grey with a big vocabulary and aptitude. When he wanted a cookie he asked for it. If he wanted an apple he asked for it. Of course he is the one who knew his colors and what an object was made of.

Mine don't say the words but know what I call things. When I ask them if they want a carrot they will respond one way or another.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Shelby » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:39 pm

liz wrote:...an Grey with a big vocabulary and aptitude. When he wanted a cookie he asked for it. If he wanted an apple he asked for it. Of course he is the one who knew his colors and what an object was made of.

Sounds like Alex! :)
Shelby
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't have a bird yet
Flight: No

Postby Sofija » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi, Michael!
I have been following you since I decided to get parrot. I admire your work with them, and by far your advises were the most helpful l i could find. Thank yo so much!
I have similar problem with my bird and please if someone has some advice how should I fix it.
My young lovebird Kiki (3 months old) is hand raised, but he doesn't like being touched that much. He will step up, come when I call him, and know how to do some simple tricks. However recently I read Michael's advice that is better to teach parrot to be tame, and tricks can come leather. I agree!
So I was trying to slowly grab Kiki and then while in my hand reward him. He will do that maybe 5 times and then fly away from me. And he hates it! I wait till he is hungry to do this, but I think he will better starve himself than be grabbed.
So what to do? He is young, but he will began to hate me if I keep doing this. Should I stop forever or am I doing something wrong?
I am in hell here, please HELP!
Sofija
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:08 pm

Most birds do not like to be restrained and this is very normal. I would not do this grabbing more than once or twice in any training session and then your bird may learn to be more comfortable with you using this technique simply by not over doing it. Try this and let me know if things improve.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Sofija » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:02 am

Wolf wrote:Most birds do not like to be restrained and this is very normal. I would not do this grabbing more than once or twice in any training session and then your bird may learn to be more comfortable with you using this technique simply by not over doing it. Try this and let me know if things improve.

Thanks for advice will do.
He doesn't mind being cupped by hand, he immediately perch on my thumb. But I will try take it slow, and hopefully by time he will get used to this. :swaying:
Sofija
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:50 am

Lovebirds don't really like been touched a lot so if yours steps up, comes when you call him, does tricks and enjoys your company I would say that you have done a wonderful job with him and would not risk losing such a great relationship insisting on doing something he doesn't like.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sofija » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:36 am

Pajarita wrote:Lovebirds don't really like been touched a lot so if yours steps up, comes when you call him, does tricks and enjoys your company I would say that you have done a wonderful job with him and would not risk losing such a great relationship insisting on doing something he doesn't like.

Thank you for helping, maybe I'm somewhat of a perfectionist.
Well on a bright side, he is more willing to let me touch him and pick him up, but I'm not doing that often. Maybe over time, he will get accustomed to it, and don't even care. But if that doesn't happen that's OK, I love him anyway!
Thank you all for helping me, and answering.
If someone had or has a lovebird, maybe he/she could help first hand. I know every species is different and every bird is too.
Sofija
Parakeet

PreviousNext

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks