Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Yoshi Recall?

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Yoshi Recall?

Postby ivan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:25 am

Hi everyone this is my first post as well as is my first time here so I hope I'm posting in the right section. So I have a 9 week old Green Cheek Conure baby named Yoshi. He's beautiful and this is my first Conure and real parrot you can say. He was learning to fly when I got it from the breeder, but had them clipped for a little bit. But now he's growing is feathers back and now he can some what fly. When we leave the room sometimes and let him have his alone time and we close the door behind us, I see that he flys (more like glide low) to the sofa next to the door. I'm so happy he can do that. But today I was shocked and really happy that he just flew to my mom this morning after waking up and saw that she came into the room. She takes care of him pretty much from sun up to sun down and everything beyond. So I'm guessing she's his favorite :) I'm 2nd I guess lol. Anyway we knew he can somewhat fly but she flew and perched on her hand and we were SHOCKED. Does this mean it will be easy to train him to do recalls? I'm sorry I haven't taught him much and still learning a lot about Conure's and how they are. But if possible where or how do I start right away? :D
ivan
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Yoshi Recall?

Postby Michael » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm sorry, but a 9 week old parakeet is not going to be growing any feathers back. You either got the age wrong, he wasn't really clipped, or was clipped and then had the feathers pulled. But that wouldn't really make sense.

There are several articles available about training flight recall but if that bird is in fact 9 weeks, it is probably a bit to early to begin any formal training.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby ivan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 am

So after confirming with the breeder about Yoshi's age he's 10 weeks of age in 2 days. Whatever the age maybe. It seems he can find his way around the house once he started learning to fly. He usually lands on out head or shoulders. So I'm guessing this is a good thing? So I tried to get him to fly to me but not the way I've seen on Youtube. Because I don't have a clicker yet. But here is what I have done so far and this is what I have progressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67YIJoiHpsA
ivan
Parakeet

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:41 am

Looks like it's a very mild clip (makes you wonder why bother).
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Kim S » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:08 am

Looking good! I would try to train a bit more in how to step up and step down on cue. That would remedy the need to twist his legs out of his hips every time you want him to step down :D
And I wouldnt teach him that your computerscreen is a perch. Before you know it he will use that as his regular perch, and believe me, poo is very difficcult to get out from between keyboardkeys.

The clip does seem very mild. I sometimes clip my baby budgies that way when they do their kamikazeflights too often just to slow them down. But since Yoshi cant really fly yet I dont see the point.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby ivan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Thank you Kim for your input. It means a lot :) I'll definitely started teaching step up and down on cue.
ivan
Parakeet

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks