Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird cannot fly

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Bird cannot fly

Postby ChiNekio » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:30 am

I have a bird that cannot fly. She's a cockatiel, and she can't seem to fly. I bought her 8 years ago at a local pet store when I fell in love with her. I've tried to teach her through getting her to mimic my arms with her wings and just trying to teach her not to be afraid of heights.
Do you think there is anything wrong with her?
[P.S.: I'm going to apologize if this is listed in another section of the flight topic, but I'm posting this before going to sleep. I'm eager to know if there is something wrong with my little flightless bird.]

Video of Cheech singing:

(It was accidentally discovered that she loves those commercials.)
on hiatus until further notice.
ChiNekio
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Bird cannot fly

Postby Kim S » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:23 am

Without getting a proper look at the wings theres really nothing I can say. Her feathers look to be in a bad shape to begin with, so my first question is, what do you feed her? What is her regular diet? If she is on an unbalanced diet she can be missing nutricients that she needs to keep her feathers in shape. If her flightfeathers are not in shape she will be having trouble flying.
Secondly I am thinking of certain diseases that affect the feathers. Polyoma is one of them. This affects the formation of feathers and specifically targets the flightpens and tailfeathers.

In both cases it would be a good idea to go see an avian vet. He can do tests to see if your bird is malnurished or if she has some underlying disease.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird cannot fly

Postby ChiNekio » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:23 am

Thank you. Her wings actually look pretty good. That was before I was able to clip them. A bird expert told me she may have a problem with the actually structure of her wings. I noticed something different on one wing. I feed her a diet of Bonanza bird food and some fruits and veggies. I have a book that tells me what I should and shouldn't give her as a treat. I will be able to bring her to a vet very soon and I will report back what the vet tells me.
on hiatus until further notice.
ChiNekio
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks