Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Kili Understands "Come Here"

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Kili Understands "Come Here"

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:36 pm

I never really taught Kili to come except as recalls to my hand. However, she was really motivated to train today and was doing a great job. At some points I probably asked her to "come here" but only informally. Today I asked her to come several times to perform specific tricks and she would fly down from her perch and land beside me to do the tricks.

What I mean by "come here" is that I pointed to the floor in front of me and asked her to go there. And she flew down and landed there ready to do a trick. This is different from a recall where she would see my hand and come land on it.

What amazes me is that she picked up the concept of this without any formal training. She just figured it out on her own. Also I can now tell her "go back to perch" when she is on the floor and she flies up to her perch. In fact I did some more work on it and now I can say "go back to perch" and not even move my hand and she flies off by herself and goes to her perch. This flight stuff just keeps getting better and better. I gotta make some new videos!
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Kili Understands "Come Here"

Postby MandyG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:13 am

That's great! I never cease to be amazed by a parrot's problem solving skills and complex thinking. Saying 'come here' and then pointing where you'd like her to go is just another variation of target training. The brilliant part of it is that you've never taught her to target train that way (using that cue) but she can still understand that even though the cue is different she knows what you want her to do. She's definitely a smart bird and you have a great working relationship with her! The benefits of training and developing that line of communication seem to be endless ;) .
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Natacha » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Shade also picked up on the "come here" concept relatively quickly. She actually says it in French (viens-t-en) whenever she wants me to come to her (and she'll say it more and more impatiently if I ignore her...).
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:21 pm

That's really sneaky. I tell Kili to come here and she comes to me. Your bird tells YOU to come and you come running over. I guess your bird is really clever.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:00 am

Michael wrote:That's really sneaky. I tell Kili to come here and she comes to me. Your bird tells YOU to come and you come running over. I guess your bird is really clever.

I don't necessarily go running to her.
I sometimes ignore her or will tell her to come and see me.

But she does know how to use the words.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks