Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

startinflight training

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

startinflight training

Postby k-angel » Sun May 15, 2011 3:48 pm

id like to flight train but both birds were clipped by there first owner . chico my :sun: is starting to get some of the flight feathers back . so i was wondering if there was any training i could do before they get there flight feathers back ?
k-angel
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure ,senegal parrot
Flight: No

Re: startinflight training

Postby Michael » Sun May 15, 2011 4:20 pm

You can train targeting and tricks to develop a training relationship with the bird before it can fly. Get it used to walking to you and targeting to you all the time. This will make it easier to flight train when it begins to fly. The worst thing is not to do anything and wait for the bird to start flying. Then it may choose to fly all around but to you and it will be harder to reshape its behaviors.

Also take this as an opportunity to teach it what places are acceptable. Buy all the trees and perches you intend to keep the bird on once its flighted and let it spend a lot of time on them now. This way when it becomes flighted, these places will already be familiar and it will be more likely to fly to and stay on them.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks