Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lovebird Outdoors

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Lovebird Outdoors

Postby FatimaAndCharlie » Mon May 30, 2011 12:46 am

Hello, I have a question about flight suits. I know questions about flight suits/ diapers have been answered before, but I still couldn't find the answer to my question.

I have a five months old lovebird named Charlie very recently tamed (he became very tamed in one month and is a quick learner). I have no issues with him pooping around. I never potty trained him but still 8 out of 10 times he does not on people. he flies of to a flat surface and poops there. But I really want to take him outside but there are no harnesses small enough for lovebirds. The smallest size is for cockatiels and some people who tried that size for lovebirds said it's too big. So I bought bird flight suit. Please someone, help me with some tips on training him to wear it. how do i know if i'm taking things to fast? how long will it take for him any estimates? He's not scared of it and enjoys chewing it and playing with it, but freaks out when i try to put it on. any other tips on teaching him to wear bird diaper? is there an alternate? how about tying something to his leg? I took him outside a few times but stayed close to the house door. He does not fly off but gets really excited when hears other birds and wants to go looking for them so it's not safe for me to take him to a park without a leash.
Please do not refer me to youtube, cuz i've already watched all the videos reguarding this topic there. I'm just scared to be a bit aggressive with him while putting it on. I dont want to force it and i'm willing to be patient but i just dont know how.. when i bring it close, he grabs onto it with his claws rather than putting them in the holes. plz give me any advice you have, any experiences u have but i really really prefer replies on how to do it, rather than, "it's cruel," "don't do it," etc
FatimaAndCharlie
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: Lovebird Outdoors

Postby Michael » Mon May 30, 2011 8:09 am

Ok, so assuming you can't use a harness, it leaves you with 3 remaining options:

1) Potty training
2) Use a carrier/cage for outdoor time
3) Train the bird to wear a flight suit

I still prefer potty training to flight suit for that regard but if you are interested in using it as an outdoor restraint, you should look into the training methods used for harness training. Start with desensitization so that the bird can get used to the material, then put it on little by little with each try, hold it there for a little, reward, and take it off. I'm not sure of the specific ways it needs to be put on but regardless, you can fake putting it on just by wrapping the bird in the material and holding it on there so that it simulates wearing it and then rewarding. The biggest thing is keeping it a positive experience and letting the bird feel like it chose to put it on. Otherwise it will be a lot of trouble in the future. Good luck.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Lovebird Outdoors

Postby FatimaAndCharlie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:31 am

Thank You ... that's very helpful helpful :D
FatimaAndCharlie
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird