Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird will recall to stand but not hand

Discuss topics associated with teaching birds to fly. Training parrots recall flight, target flying, and other flying exercises.

Bird will recall to stand but not hand

Postby stlcausntrbl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 am

Been working with Boo to recall to training stands...it is going really well...she will now go 10 feet between stands and if she misses the stand she will circle and land on it. But I cannot seem to get her to recall to my hand. She occasionally lands on my head (which I dont know how to get her to stop). Any suggestions on how to get her to recall to my hand instead of the training perch? When I try to get her to land on my hand she just sits there giving me a funny look, if I move away and replace my hand with the perch she will then do recall for her treat.
stlcausntrbl
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: 3 african greys, a B&G, and a sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird will recall to stand but not hand

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:56 am

Get her on a roll going to the stand over and over again and then get your hand just in front of the stand. If you were targeting the bird to the stand, try targeting to your hand. Whatever worked to motivate the bird to go to the stand you should apply to going to your hand. Otherwise just trick it to go to your hand and then make it super super rewarding. Also, you may want to cut the distance back when moving to this next stage.

http://TrainedParrot.com/Recall
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby stlcausntrbl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:51 am

Thanks Michael, worked a couple of times and then she got distracted (or full..lol). I will just keep working on it after all she is very young and I have only had her for a week. In one of your articles you mentioned to keep food put up when you have flighted birds. I see what you mean. I got distracted and left one of the other birds cooked food on the counter and she enough she found it and decided to help herself. I never knew the joy of flighted parrots. Thank you Soooo much!!!!
stlcausntrbl
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: 3 african greys, a B&G, and a sun conure

Postby Meraviglioso » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:19 pm

Michael thank you for valuable advice. I'm going to apply it to my parrots as well
Why Is A Mobile Phone Signal Booster Important
Amplificateur GSM ou 3G lire ici
Meraviglioso
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Return to Recall Flight & Flighted Tricks